Get lush lips with this simple sugar lip scrub recipe. It takes only a couple minutes to make and sugar scrubs are a perfect way to pamper yourself at home.
The sugar helps exfoliate your lips and will slough off any dead or dry skin. Exfoliation will promote new, healthy cells and remove the old ones. This will leave you with soft, kissable lips that feel fantastic.
Sugar Lip Scrub Ingredients
No need to purchase a sugar lip scrub, our recipe is simple and only calls for 3 ingredients. Most people will have these ingredients in their home:
- Sugar (white or brown)
- Coconut oil
- Essential oils
You will also need a jar to put the finished product into.
This sugar lip scrub is a great beginner DIY recipe, even kid friendly. Kids love to help mix and create new things. These ingredients make this a safe recipe for them to make with supervision. Let them pick out the kid safe essential oils (like sweet orange oil) they would like to try.
Best Essential Oils for Lip Scrub
Our recipe is a peppermint sugar lip scrub but you can substitute it for other essential oils. Here are some great choices for DIY lip scrubs:
- Orange Essential Oil: Cheerful and sweet
- Peppermint Essential Oil: Cool and minty
- Lavender Essential Oil: Healing and floral
- Spearmint Essential Oil: Refreshing and clean
- Lemon Essential Oil: Bright and fruity
- Cardamom Essential Oil: Spicy and comforting
Safety Precuation: Lemon oil is a phototoxic essential oil, this may not be a problem since the at home sugar lip scrub will be rinsed off but still good info to be aware of.
Easy Sugar Lip Scrub Recipe
- 3 tablespoons Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 oz Blue Glass Jar
- Mix all ingredients together and transfer sugar lip scrub to a 2 oz. Glass Salve Jar. If you prefer, you can use brown sugar.
- To use, place a small amount onto a fingertip and rub on lips with finger for about 1-2 minutes.
- Then, rinse off sugar lip scrub with water. It is good to follow up with a coat of lip balm or virgin coconut oil for extra moisture.
Our recipe also makes a great homemade gift for friends or family. Use a pretty glass jar and place a label or gift tag to make it extra special. Essential oils can be changed as desired for different flavors.
Tips for Healthy Lips
- Don't Lick Your Lips: While this may give a temporary feeling of moisture it will actually remove more moisture from your lips as the wetness evaporates. Saliva also has digestive enzymes that can irritate your sensitive lips.
- Use Lip Balm: Frequent application of lip balm will keep your lips moist and soft. Apply a good layer before bedtime so when you wake up your lips will be ready for the day!
- Once a Week: Use our Sugar Lip Scrub recipe once per week to keep your lips exfoliated. This will keep the skin on your lips healthy and renewed.
- Protect Your Lips: Lips can get sun burnt easily because they lack melanin. Protect your lips with a SPF lip balm when in the sun.
- Keep Hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. This will keep your body, skin and lips hydrated.
- Minimize Matte Lipstick Usage: Matte lipstick is very drying, that is why it stays in place so long. Be sure to use sparingly.
Share On Pinterest
More DIY Beauty Recipes:
- Exfoliating Sugar Scrub
- DIY Essential Oil Hair Mask
- Homemade Massage Soap Bar
- Essential Oil Lip Gloss
50+ DIY Recipe Guide - Get NOW:
Download our 50 page recipe guide full of wonderful all natural cleaning, personal care and beauty products for your home, PLUS matching bottle labels for each recipe! Just fill in form and click "Get My Recipe Guide" button for FREE access: