The sense of smell varies for everyone. A smell that one loves, another may find unpleasant. There are a variety of scents in the aromatherapy world, many I find just spectacular and really enjoy smelling. Here are 10 Essential Oil Diffuser Blends for Men that have more manly aromas than say my rose and vanilla diffuser blend :)
Masculine Essential Oil Blends
These "manly" diffuser recipes are inspired by my husband who isn't into floral or "girly" scents. The other day he came into the room with his shirt over his nose and was talking to me really quickly before making a speedy exit.
I was like "what's the problem?", he said the smell of my aromatherapy diffuser was going to make him vomit, that it was like he just ate some baby powder. WHAT!!! Not the lovely aroma of rose and vanilla.
I couldn't believe that is how he interpreted that oil blend. OK, so I guess I need to make an inhaler for that blend so I could still enjoy it or diffuse it when he is not around.
There are plenty of men that enjoy essential oils but there are also some that are resistant. My husband is somewhere in the middle, he knows they can offer tremendous benefits because he has experienced them first hand, but has some serious opinions on the smells!
What Essential Oils Do Men Like?
Every person is different and will have varying sensitivities to oils. It is best to experience essential oils and see what YOU (or your man) likes.
Scent is also linked to memories, so it is possible that an essential oil may bring up unpleasant thoughts. No worries, there are plenty of essential oils to choose from, just keep looking for what you enjoy the most!
I got an essential oil that I KNEW my husband would just love called nootka tree. It has a fresh pencil shaving smell. I liked it and I thought he would enjoy too but to my surprise, he quickly pushed the bottle away.
I did diffuse it later that night, but I added citrus oils to it and he didn't complain. He isn't a fan of patchouli either but I still will use one or two drops in a blend recipes to lessen the strong aroma.
In a men's aromatherapy blend, a little floral can be tucked in without dominating the blend, lavender essential oil comes to mind here. You may want to avoid strong floral aromas like ylang ylang, magnolia, and rose.
15 Best Essential Oils for Men
While it is definitely an individual preference, in general men tend to like more masculine scented essential oils like woods, pines, spice, citrus, and resins.
Here is a list of essential oils for men, use it as a starting point:
1. Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Warm, woody, rustic aroma
- Frequently used in beard oils
- Commonly used as a perfume fixative
- Types: Indian, Hawaiian, or Australian
- Read More: Sandalwood Oil
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
- Cooling, minty fresh effect
- Probably the most popular manly oil
- Energizing and invigorating effect
- Great for breathing support blends
- Read More: Peppermint Spotlight
3. White Fir Essential Oil
- Refreshing, woodsy smell
- A favorite oil for boosting energy
- Inhale deeply to experience the refreshing aroma
- Read More: White Fir Spotlight
4. Cypress Essential Oil
- Used in men's colognes for its piney scent
- Has a soothing effect on nerves
- Promotes a feeling of positivity
- Read More: Cypress Spotlight
5. Orange Essential Oil
- Sweet and zesty citrus fragrance
- Refreshing, improves the air of a stale room
- Calms the digestive system and aids digestion
- Read More: Orange Spotlight
6. Ginger Essential Oil
- Spicy and invigorating smell
- A favorite for massage oils
- Good choice for digestion blends
- Read More: Ginger Massage Oil
7. Frankincense Essential Oil
- Often called the "King of Oils"
- One of the most prized essential oils
- Provides a balancing effect on emotions
- Types: Carterii, Frereana, Sacra, and Serrata
- Read More: Frankincense Oil
8. Lemon Essential Oil
- Bright and sunshiny citrus fragrance
- Purifying nature of lemon refreshes a room
- Instills happiness and positive energy
- Read More: Lemon Oil
9. Rosemary Essential Oil
- Herbaceous and energizing scent
- Clears mucous and congestion
- Great to diffuse in the morning to wake up
- Read More: Rosemary Oil
10. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Most popular respiratory support oil
- Promotes motivation, energy, and optimism
- Types: Radiata, Globulus, Dives, Citriodara
- Read More: Eucalyptus Spotlight
11. Copaiba Essential Oil
- Balsamic smell without overpowering
- Perfect for creating calming blends
- Acts as a scent fixative in soaps and blends
- Read More: Copaiba Spotlight
12. Clove Essential Oil
- This strong oil has a true to spice aroma
- Has a warming effect on the senses
- Creates a feeling of protection and courage
- Read More: Clove Spotlight
13. Lime Essential Oil
- Sharp, energizing aroma like a fresh cut lime
- Alleviates fatigue and exhaustion
- Promotes creativity and focus
- Read More: Lime Oil
14. Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Clean and woody aroma great for removing odors
- Offers strength when feeling sick
- Promotes a peaceful sense of confidence
- Read More: Cedarwood Oil
15. Vetiver Essential Oil
- Earthy, smokey aroma
- Frequently used in men’s colognes
- Ideal for diffusing at bedtime
- Read More: Vetiver Spotlight
Manly Scented Diffuser Blends
Diffusing essential oils is a great way to get the benefits of aromatherapy into your home. Add one of the essential oil recipes below to your diffuser with recommended water for your diffuser tank. I like to use a 100-200 ml water tank diffuser but you can use whatever size you prefer.
1. The Businessman
This recipe has an uplifting effect and great for respiratory support. Diffuse to open airways and strengthen confidence.
2. Deep Forest
Bring the outdoors in with this forest blend. These tree oils are grounding, relaxing, and reminiscent of outside adventures.
3. Calm My Man
Try this trio of calming and stress-reducing essential oils to create a serene atmosphere while still keeping it man friendly.
Here is a get recipe that offers stimulating yet grounding effects. Lemon and peppermint essential oil are both great for energizing the mind and body. This duo can be diffused together without the vetiver if preferred but I find it adds a nice depth to the blend.
5. What a Man
This feel good recipe is a win for everyone that breathes in these mood supportive oils. Take control of your emotions and move forward.
6. Push the Limits
|Citrus oil are so amazing and I think a favorite on most peoples list. Frankincense helps to balance the blend a
7. Mysterious Man
The sharp and spicy aroma of black pepper activates and excites the body. Besides being stimulating it offers clarity and helps keep you focused and on track.
Black Spruce wasn't on the list of oils above but still a great choice for a masculine diffuser blend. Black spruce offers respiratory support and encourages vitality. Cypress oil pairs nicely and offers similar benefits.
9. Inspired Man
Let the cheerful aroma of lime and clove inspire energy and action while copaiba creates a grounding environment. Lime also acts as a deodorizer, disinfectant, and digestive aid.
10. Man Cave
"Man Cave" is a masculine diffuser blend that comes from our Cedarwood post. When diffused this trio of emotionally supportive oils offer a welcomed comfort.
Diffuse 30 minutes to 1 hour at a time, read more about how long to diffuse oils.
It is best not to apply undiluted essential oils onto the skin. When using essential oils topically on the skin, be sure to dilute with a carrier oil like jojoba oil or sweet almond oil.
Using essential oils can improve a person’s emotional, physical, and mental state. For best results, make sure you use pure essential oils and learn how to use them properly.
Where to Buy Essential Oils?
Don't have the essential oils you need? Here are some of our favorite brands: