Nails can get pretty beat up and neglected in our daily lives. Some people chew them, some use them as tools (as mini scratchers, scrapers, screwdrivers, picks, etc), and some take no notice of them at all.
I know I am guilty of not caring for my fingernails. That is why I love this simple but effective DIY Cuticle & Nail Serum. Use this serum about 3 times per week and see the difference for yourself!
Essential oils and vitamin E can bring TLC to your fingernails and improve their overall health.
You can spend money on manicures and have someone else care for your nails but I personally like the DIY approach. It saves money and you can use natural products instead of chemicals that majority of salons use.
Best Essential Oils for Nails
Your hands are some of the most important tools you use every day. That's why it's so important to take care of them, including your fingernails. Good hygiene and proper care can help keep your nails healthy and looking their best.
Wondering what essential oils will help keep your nails healthy & strong? Here are the best essential oils for fingernails:
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Frankincense Essential Oil
- Myrrh Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
To use, add 1-2 drops to 1 teaspoon of rosehip oil and apply to nails. If you have a fungal nail infection, Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca) is the best choice for nails.
DIY Nail Strengthening Serum
Are your nails weak and brittle? Are they constantly breaking and splitting? If so, you need to start using a nail strengthening serum. A good serum can help to fortify your nails, making them stronger and less likely to break. But store-bought serums can be expensive.
So why not make your own? This DIY nail strengthening serum is easy to make and it only requires a few ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. So give it a try! Your nails will thank you.
- 1 oz Dropper Bottle
- 6 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 6 drops of Myrrh essential oil
- 1 oz Rosehip Oil
- 2 Vitamin E Oil Capsules
- Add essential oils to 1 oz dropper bottle.
- Cut vitamin E capsules open and squeeze into bottle.
- Fill the remaining space of the bottle with rosehip oil (you could use jojoba oil, avocado oil, or fractionated coconut oil instead). Screw the lid on and shake to combine.
- To use, place a few drops onto a cotton ball and rub over nails to soften cuticles and to strengthen nails.
You can substitute Lavender and Myrrh essential oils for other oils. There are many essential oils that are beneficial for nails, see above for a list of other essential oils you could use in this recipe.
Tips for Healthy Fingernails
It's often easy to tell someone's overall health by simply looking at their nails. Healthy nails should be strong and free of any blemishes or abnormalities. If you're noticing that your nails are looking a bit worse for wear, don't worry - we've got some tips to help get them back on track!
Here are a few tips for keeping your fingernails healthy and strong.
- Keep 100% cotton gloves around. At night apply moisturizing lotion to your hands, then place the gloves on while you sleep to allow the moisturizer to absorb as much as possible.
- Never use your nails as tools. You know, like as mini scratchers, scrapers, screwdrivers, picks…just don’t! Find a proper tool to use instead.
- Keep moisturizing lotion by every sink in your home and apply after washing hands to keep skin and nails from drying out.
- Make sure to wear gloves when you garden or clean. I like to use nitrile (medical exam) gloves. They keep my nails clean & protected, plus I can maintain finger dexterity.
- Never cut your cuticles, push them back instead. When you cut cuticles, you are more at risk for infections and ingrown nails.
- Use care with artificial nails. They can encourage the growth of fungus under your nails. It is best to keep nails naked and natural, if possible.
- Diet matters! Your nails will reflect your overall health. If your do not get proper nutrition, your nails will be dry and flaky. A diet high in calcium, Magnesium, and good quality protein will give you strong and healthy nails.
- Keep hydrated. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day will help nails as well as your overall health.
For overall health, I like to use a diffuser to diffuse essential oil into the air.
Where to Buy Essential Oil?
I am frequently asked what essential oil brand we use at Loving Essential Oils. We are not exclusive to one company and actually enjoy trying a variety of brands and essential oils. When buying oils it is important to buy only 100% pure essential oils from a reputable company. Don't just buy on price alone, research the company if you are not familiar with them.
Here are several reputable brands we use:
Share On Pinterest
50+ DIY Essential Oil Recipe Guide:
What more recipes like this? Download our 50 page recipe guide full of wonderful all natural cleaning, personal care and beauty products for your home, PLUS matching bottle labels for each recipe! Get FREE access below: