Nails can get pretty beat up and neglected in our daily lives. Some people chew them, some use them as tools (as mini scratchers, scrapers, screwdrivers, picks, etc), and some take no notice of them at all.
I know I am guilty of not caring for my fingernails. That is why I love this simple but effective DIY Cuticle & Nail Serum. Use this serum about 3 times per week and see the difference for yourself!
Essential oils and vitamin E can bring TLC to your fingernails and improve their overall health. You can spend money on manicures and have someone else care for your nails but I personally like the DIY approach. It saves money and you can use natural products instead of chemicals that majority of salons use.
DIY Cuticle & Nail Serum Recipe:
- 1 oz Dropper Bottle
- 15 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 15 drops of Myrrh essential oil
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 2 Vitamin E Oil Capsules
- Add essential oils to 1 oz dropper bottle.
- Cut vitamin E capsules open and squeeze into bottle.
- Fill the remaining space of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil (you could use jojoba or avocado oil instead of fractionated coconut oil). Screw the lid on and shake to combine.
- To use, place a few drops onto a cotton ball and rub over nails to soften cuticles and to strengthen nails.
Click here to purchase our 1 oz blue dropper bottles used in this recipe - On Sale NOW! You can substitute Lavender and Myrrh essential oils for other oils. There are many essential oils that are beneficial for nails, see below for a list of other essential oils you could use in this recipe.
7 Best Essential Oils for Nails:
Wondering what essential oils will help keep your nails healthy & strong? Here are the best essential oils according to Modern Essentials Reference Guide.
To use, add 1-2 drops to 1 teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil and apply to nails. If you have a fungal nail infection, melaleuca is the best choice for nails.
Tips for Healthy Fingernails:
- Keep 100% cotton gloves around. At night apply moisturizing lotion to your hands, then place the gloves on while you sleep to allow the moisturizer to absorb as much as possible.
- Never use your nails as tools. You know, like as mini scratchers, scrapers, screwdrivers, picks…just don’t! Find a proper tool to use instead.
- Keep moisturizing lotion by every sink in your home and apply after washing hands to keep skin and nails from drying out.
- Make sure to wear gloves when you garden or clean. I like to use nitrile (medical exam) gloves. It keeps my nails clean & protected, plus I can maintain finger dexterity.
- Never cut your cuticles, push them back instead. When you cut cuticles, you are more at risk for infections and ingrown nails.
- Use care with artificial nails. They can encourage the growth of fungus under your nails. It is best to keep nails naked and natural, if possible.
- Diet matters! Your nails will reflect your overall health. If your do not get proper nutrition, your nails will be dry and flaky. A diet high in calcium, Magnesium, and good quality protein will give you strong and healthy nails.
- Keep hydrated. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day will help nails as well as your overall health.
*The information provided here is not intended to cure, diagnose or treat medical conditions, nor is it a substitute for medical advice. Post may include affiliate links. See full disclaimer.
Share this post
DIY Antibacterial Hand Gel
Here is a great antibacterial hand gel recipe, just in time for the germy season. No water needed! Put this hand gel...
DIY Lavender Face Toner - Essential Oil Spray Recipe
Do you use a face toner in your skincare regimen? Face toners help cleanse, restore balance and refresh the skin. Ton...
Homemade Minty Orange Lip Gloss Roll On
Try this homemade lip gloss recipe for moist and soft lips during the drying winter months. It only requires 3 natura...
Fruit & Veggie Cleaning Spray Recipe With Essential Oils
There are several reasons you should wash your fruit and veggies before you eat them. Some reasons are germs, pestici...
Facial Steam Using Essential Oils
A facial steam will hydrate your skin and cleanse your pores. When you add essential oils you will also enjoy additi...
10 DIY Christmas Air Fresheners For The Holidays
Don't you just love the smell of Christmas? Fresh cut pine trees, spicy cider, crisp winter air, warm cookies, sweet...