In aromatherapy, many use ginger essential oil for nausea and other stomach issues. Ginger has traditionally been used as a medicinal spice to help soothe digestive problems. A good example is ginger ale, it is often looked to as a home remedy for nausea.
Find out how this wonderful spice essential oil can help you support your health and wellness naturally. Plus get some great ideas for use, essential oil blends and a favorite DIY Upset Stomach Roller Blend!
Ginger Essential Oil Benefits
Ginger oil (Zingiber officinale) is produced by steam distillation from the ginger root of the ginger plant. It has a warm, spicy, and woody aroma. Here are some of the beneficial effects of using ginger:
- Supports overall digestive health
- Helps ease indigestion and nausea
- Soothes achy joints and muscles
- Warms and encourages energy
Ginger Oil for Nausea
Ginger can settle your digestive upset in a variety of circumstances like travel and car sickness, as well as indigestion and overeating. It can also calm cramping and muscle spasms.
A study was done on the effectiveness of inhaling ginger after surgery, here is the conclusion:
"Findings indicate that ginger essential oil inhalation has implications for alleviating postoperative nausea and vomiting in abdominal surgery patients."
When applied to abdomen, the warming qualities also helps with any belly aches and pain.
You don't need a lot of ginger as it is very aromatic, plus if using topically too much can irritate the skin.
Best Essential Oils for Nausea/Vomiting
Beside ginger oil, here are more oils to use when feeling sick to your stomach or when vomiting.
- Sweet Orange
How to Use Ginger Essential Oil for Nausea
1. Inhale Ginger
- Apply one drop of ginger eo to palm, rub palms together, then bring to nose and inhale the aroma. You can also create an easy aromatherapy inhaler.
Aroma Inhaler Blend:
- 4 drops Spearmint
- 2 drops Ginger
- 2 drops Cardamom
- 2 drops Lavender
- Blank Inhaler
2. Diffuser Jewelry
- Apply a drop of oil to an essential oil necklace or aromatherapy bracelet to get the benefits of inhaling ginger. You can also try one of the other oils listed above instead.
Find out More: How to Use Diffuser Jewelry
3. Soothing Bath
- A soak in a soothing bath can be just what you need to settle your abdominal discomfort.
- I like to use it with lavender essential oil because lavender is very calming and soothing too. Plus lavender has a gentle nature and is skin nourishing so it mixes nicely with ginger, which I mentioned can be skin irritating.
Lavender & Ginger Bath Blend:
- 4 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Unscented Castile Soap
4. Aromatherapy Diffuser
- Use a diffuse to get ginger molecules into the air so you can breath them in. Try this Nausea Blend in your ultrasonic diffuser.
Anti-Nausea Diffuser Blend
- 3 drops Cardamom
- 2 drops Ginger
- 2 drop Grapefruit
- 1 drops Fennel
Add to your diffuser with recommended water for your tank.
5. Apply Topically to Belly
- Applying essential oils directly where you need them is a fast way to reap the benefits they have to offer. So when you feel nauseated it is usually felt in your belly, that is why you would want to apply it there.
- Try this easy recipe to apply directly to belly. You can also apply this on your chest so you will get the full benefits of inhaling the ginger oil too.
Simple Diy Ginger Blend for Nausea:
- Add one teaspoon of jojoba oil to palm of hand (or carrier oil of choice)
- Add 2 drops of ginger essential oil to palm
- Rub hands together and massage nausea blend onto belly and chest
DIY Upset Stomach Roller Blend Recipe
Create this powerful blend of aromatherapy oils, it has ginger, spearmint, cardamom and peppermint.
- 2 drops of Ginger
- 2 drops of Cardamom
- 1 drop of Spearmint
- 1 drop Peppermint
- Jojoba Oil
- Roller Bottle
Add essential oils to roller bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with jojoba oil, place on rollerball and cap. Roll bottle between the palms of hands to mix the oils together.
Share on Pinterest
More Recipes to Enjoy: