Are you aware of the overuse of antibiotics and the rise of "superbugs"? Super bugs are germs that are resistant to many antibiotics. If not, this is definitely a topic you should look into, antimicrobial resistance.
In hospitals, it is seen every day, but it is also seen in our communities, as well as our schools. With antibiotics now widely ineffective, how can you protect yourself and your loved ones from these "superbugs"?
Flowers and herbs have been used for thousands of years for their healing properties. Today we know that essential oils from flowers and herbs have tremendous benefits when inhaled or applied topically.
Germ Fighting Essential Oils
Researchers have found that essential oils could be a low-cost alternative solution to antibiotics and potentially help fight against drug-resistant super bugs in hospitals.
French physician Dr. Jean Valnet, author of The Practice of Aromatherapy, wrote:
"Infectious microbes do not appear to become accustomed to the essential oils as they do to the many forms of treatment using antibiotics."
Essential oils have potent effects against germs because of the complexity of their chemical make up.
To protect ourselves from germs, it is a must to cleanse them from our environment and within us. To detoxify, clean and protect, use antibacterial essential oils that are naturally powerful against germs.
Antibacterial simply means that it destroys or prevents growth of destructive bacteria.
Top 12 Antibacterial Essential Oils
There are a number of essential oils that have powerful bactericidal effects on a wide range of infectious organisms. Another great thing is that essential oils can stimulate the body's own immune response to infection.
Here is a list of antibacterial essential oils:
1. Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Powerful medicinal aroma
- Effective against a range of bacteria and fungi
- Strong deodorizing action to combat odors
- Beloved for fighting skin infections
2. Eucalyptus Oil (Eucalyptus globulus or E. radiata)
- Acts as a very strong antiseptic
- Makes a good sickroom spray
- Best known as a decongestant for colds & coughs
- Insect repellent against mosquitoes
3. Clove Oil (Eugenia caryophyllata)
- Very powerful anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties
- Frequently used for toothaches and gum care
- Use with caution on skin (skin irritant), dilute to 1% or less
- Read more: Clove Oil Spotlight
4. Oregano Oil (Origanum vulgare)
- Powerful antibacterial action and healing qualities
- Strong spicy, herbaceous, camphor-like aroma
- Helps fight fungal infections (Candida albicans)
- Commonly used as a household cleansing agent
- Use with caution, skin and mucous membrane irritant
- Read more: Oregano Oil Spotlight
5. Thyme Oil (Thymus vulgaris)
- Fights bacterial and fungal infections
- Soothes cough and sore throats
- Helps to purify unwanted microbial activity
- Boosts the immune system and supports wellness
6. Geranium Oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
- Extremely valuable oil for skin care
- Versatile oil with antiseptic and antioxidant properties
- Use with tea tree to prevent bacterial infections
7. Cinnamon Bark Oil (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Spicy and warm aroma is deodorizing
- Effective against 98% of all pathogenic bacteria
- Use to keep home clean during times of seasonal illness
8. Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita)
- Minty aroma has antiseptic properties
- Can assist with fever, flu, and colds
- Antioxidant and antimicrobial actions
- May help stimulate immune function
9. Lemongrass Oil (Cymbopogon flexuosus)
- Safe and natural deodorizer
- Reduces the presence of unwanted bacteria, microbes, or fungus
- Antioxidant properties (fights free radicals that can cause disease)
- Read more: Lemongrass Oil spotlight
10. Basil Oil (Ocimum basilicum)
- Crisp herbal aroma that refreshed the mind
- Clears sinuses and soothes coughs
- Insecticidal properties repel insects
- Read more: Basil Oil Spotlight
11. Lavender Oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
- The world’s most popular and versatile oils
- Beloved for its natural healing properties
- Encourages balance in all body systems
- Works well in blends to enhance immune function
12. Lemon Oil (Citrus limon)
- Purifying effect on the body
- Strong antimicrobial actions
- Disinfectant properties make it a top choice for natural cleaning
- Supports a healthy immune system
As you can see, there are many essential oils that can help you fight germs. Use this list to cleanse the air and surfaces in your home and environment.
Get your germ killing gloves on and mix up this essential oil blend to create a fantastic household cleaner that can be used to clean all surfaces. Here is a cleaning spray to clean your environment: Germ Fighting Spray Recipe
Research on Essential Oils that Kill Germs
People often purchase chemical-laced cleaners as a way to get rid of germs, but they could be doing more harm than good. You can use natural essential oils to eliminate viruses and bacteria.
Essential oils are powerful in fighting pathogens, leading some researchers believe that they can inhibit the growth and development of certain bacteria types, even those that have developed resistance to antibiotics in recent times.
Here is another study on antibacterial activity of the essential oils from the leaves of Eucalyptus globulus against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus.
Germ Fighting Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
Here are some great diffuser recipes to fight against germs and bacteria, they will also freshen the air in your environment.
Add essential oils recipes below to diffuser with recommended water for your diffuser tank. Read more about diffusing essential oils. I like to use a 100-200 ml water tank diffuser but you can use whatever size you prefer.
Germ Away Diffuser Blend
Fight germs wit this DIY germ diffuser blend! These germ fighting oils can lift your spirits and can speed up healing too.
Clean Air Diffuser Blend
Freshen the air in your environment with this powerful antibacterial oil blend.
Using essential oils to fight germs is a great way to protect yourself and your family from getting sick. Stay healthy and strong all year long with this wellness diffuser blend! This recipe can also be used in an inhaler to take on the go.
Fabulous Everyday Fresh
Enhance the aroma of your home with this refreshing lemony blend that has natural antibacterial properties.
Citrus and spice are oh so nice!
Essential Oil Safety Guidelines
Diffuse 30 minutes to 1 hour at a time, read more about how long to diffuse oils.
It is best not to apply undiluted essential oils onto the skin. When using essential oils topically on the skin, be sure to dilute with a carrier oil like jojoba oil or sweet almond oil.
Using essential oils can improve a person’s emotional, physical, and mental state. For best results, make sure you use pure essential oils and learn how to use them properly.
People can have different responses to essential oils, you may find what works for one person, doesn't work for you. You can learn more here about what to do when essential oils don't work.
Plant Therapy Germ Fighter Blend
Germ Fighter Essential Oil is a premade synergy blend from Plant Therapy. It is their germ-busting blend that is a favorite during winter time and seasonal threats, but it can be used all year long. It helps support and strengthen the body and overall wellbeing.
Read More: Plant Therapy Germ Fighter Review