You probably know that avocados are a superfood, but did you know that they produce an oil that is beneficial for skin? Full of healthy fatty acids, vitamins A, D, E, and antioxidants, avocado oil offers balancing and nourishment to dry skin.
It may not be a really common carrier oil for essential oils, but it is an oil you definitely want on your shelf because of its skin beautifying benefits. Incorporate into DIY recipes.
Avocado oil easily blends with other carrier oils and essential oils. This thick, yet absorbent oil, leaves minimal oil residue when applied to skin.
Wondering what kind to buy? Look for cold pressed, unrefined oil. Avocado oil is extracted through cold pressing from the flesh of avocados and is packed with antioxidants and vitamin E. This rich oil glides on smoothly, check it out:
The botanical name of avocado is called Persea americana (I have also seen it called Persea gratissima).
It has a very light aroma with a sweet, nutty note. Shelf life is 1-2 years when kept cool and out of direct sunlight. Refrigeration not needed.
Here is why you should incorporate avocado oil into your beauty routine.
Avocado Oil Uses & Benefits
#1 Moisturizes Skin
- Thirsty skin will love this hydrating oil. Avocado oil has excellent emollient properties, leaving skin silky and soft. The vitamin E that is in this oil hydrates the skin and helps seal in moisture. It also promotes cell regeneration so it is perfect for dry or mature skin.
- Use in recipes for bath and body oil, body butter or even massage oil. Try our Emollient Bath Oil: Take 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, add 4 drops of lavender oil and 2 drops of roman chamomile. Blend together then add to bath water once filled and swirl into water with hand. Be cautious getting out, tub may be slippery.
- Have chapped skin from frequent hand washing? Try our Lavender & Orange Blossom Foaming Hand Wash, followed by several drops of avocado oil massaged into hands.
#2 Promotes Healthy Cuticles & Nails
- Avocado oil can help with nail and cuticle health. Dry and brittle nails can use the nourishing fats and vitamins that are in this carrier oil.
- Get healthy hands with noticeably stronger nails with our Nail & Hand Revitalizer: Add 6 drops lavender oil, 4 drops of frankincense oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil to a 1 oz dropper bottle, fill rest of bottle with avocado oil. Shake well to blend. To use, apply a few drops to palm of hand and rub between hands and massage into cuticles. 2% dilution.
#3 Supports Healthy Hair & Scalp
- Let this oil restore balance to scalp and nourish hair so it shines. Rich in vitamin A, E, B, & D plus amino acids and essential fatty acids. These are wonderful for keeping hair healthy.
- Mix a few drops with your conditioner and massage directly into scalp. Let sit on hair for few minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Able to revive hair damaged from sun or styling. Simply place a few drops into palm of hand, rub palms together and work into hair.
#4 Improves Inflammation
- This carrier oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help with skin irritations, sunburns and minor injuries. The anti-inflammatory proprieties are able to soothe skin and protect it from further damage. Also great at calming itchy skin.
- Calming Cleanser: Makes a terrific alternative as a skin cleanser for people with sensitive skin that get irritated by using soap. Simple dampen face with water, then take about 1 teaspoon of avocado oil and massage onto face using circular motions. Rinse face with warm water to remove any excess oil. Pat dry.
- Another great benefit of avocado oil is its high sterol content, making it great for homemade arthritis blends.Try our Inflammation Blend: Add 4 drops helichrysum, 4 drops sweet orange oil, 4 drops black spruce into 1 oz dropper bottle and fill rest of bottle with avocado oil. To use, massage into sore and stiff joints. 2% dilution.
#5 Softens Rough Elbows, Knees & Feet
- Got darkened rough patches on elbows, knees or feet? Avocado oil contains fatty acids that are great for conditioning rough skin. Add to body scrubs and use in the shower on areas of concern.
- Try our Rough Skin Roll On: Add 4 drops of lemon oil and 6 drops of frankincense to 10 ml roller bottle, fill rest of bottle with avocado oil. Roll onto dry patches as needed.
Avocado Oil Recipes
We already offered several recipes above but here are a few more!
Homemade Avocado Face Mask
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil
- 2 drops Patchouli essential oil (Pogostemon cablin)
-Remove skin and pit from avocado, mash up in small bowl with fork. Add rest of ingredients and mix together. To use, apply to your face, keeping away from your eyes. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Apply your favorite facial moisturizer.
Orange Chapped Lips Roll On
-Add orange oil to roller bottle. Fill rest of bottle with avocado oil. Place rollerball and lid on, shake to blend. To use, roll onto chapped lips. 2% dilution.
Patchouli & Avocado Facial Moisturizer
Patchouli oil promotes skin healing and helps conditions like dryness, inflammation, scars and eczema.
-Add all ingredients in to dropper bottle. To use, apply few drops to clean face and gently massage into skin. 1% dilution.
Be sure to experience all the benefits this protective oil offers. Whether for skin nourishing or nail health, avocado oil will win you over.
Share on Pinterest