Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular aromatherapy oils on the market. It is touted as being the "Mother of All Oils" for good reasons. Not only does it have some amazing benefits but lavender essential oil mixes well with many other oils.
Obviously, what smells good to one person may not smell good to another, so it is important to take your personal oily enjoyments into account. It is also important to keep an open mind because when blending essential oils there is a wonderful thing called synergy that happens that can lead to something beautiful!
Let's explore lavender and mixing essential oils a little more before we get into what blends well with lavender essential oil.
What is Essential Oil Synergy?
A synergy essential oil blend is two or more essential oils working together for a greater benefit then the total of their individual effects. Kinda magical right ;)
When blending essential oils together, each oil can have an enhancing effect on the other oils in the blend. You get more bang for your buck, so to speak.
What are the Different Types of Lavender Essential Oil?
We have to look at the different types of lavender oil to make sure that we are on the same page. There are three main types available on the marketplace, this is where the botanical names really help you know what you are buying.
True Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has a floral and herbal aroma. For this post, we are referencing this type of lavender. It is the most common in aromatherapy and its versatility is truly amazing.
Spike Lavender (Lavandula latifolia) has a high percentage of 1,8- Cineole and Camphor which is why the aroma is reminiscent of Eucalyptus and Ravensara.
Lavandin (Lavandula x intermedia) is a hybrid of them both True Lavender and Spike Lavender and will have elements from both oils.
Read More: Types of Lavender
What is Your Goal for Blending Essential Oils?
From my perspective, lavender oil can be added to almost any other essential oil because I really love it. When using essential oils, keep in mind your intent for the blend you are mixing.
For example, if you want a relaxing blend for bedtime, find complementary essential oils for sleep. Have a headache try lavender with peppermint.
What Blends Well With Lavender Essential Oil?
There are lots of essential oils that are good to mix with lavender, it really depends on what you will use it for and/or what essential oils you find enjoyable. The nice thing about Lavender is that it is a multipurpose essential oil so it can blend with just about anything.
With that being said, I am sharing my favorite lavender essential oil blends so they could differ from yours :)
Top 8 Lavender Essential Oil Blends
Lavender oil can be used in diffusers, on pillowcases, or diluted with a carrier oil and used for massage. Lavender essential oil blends are used for their calming and relaxing properties. It's thought to help ease tension headaches, and can be used as a natural sleep aid. It is also believed to have antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Lavender oil blends well with other oils, including bergamot, cedarwood, chamomile, and geranium. When choosing a lavender essential oil blend, be sure to look for one that is high quality and 100% pure.
1. Lavender and Peppermint Oil
- These two are MUST HAVE oils in my home because they are both so versatile. I am never without them and I highly recommend them for every home. They are both great for pain/headaches and beneficial first aid essential oils.
- Read More: Peppermint and Lavender
2. Lavender and Sweet Orange Oil
- Lavender pairs great with citrus oils and sweet orange is my favorite citrus so I think this is one of the best floral and citrus combos ever. Together they are soothing, relaxing, and just leave me smiling.
3. Lavender and Lemongrass Oil
- The gentle floral aroma of lavender oil is well known for calming and balancing, while lemongrass oil has a fresh lemony aroma that is uplifting and cleansing. They are both affordable essential oils and beneficial for first aid.
- Read More: Lemongrass and Lavender
4. Lavender and Bergamot Oil
- Pleasant...relaxing...uplifting...aaahhh. Bergamot is a citrusy oil that has a sweet aroma. When blended with lavender, it creates a calming and soothing effect. Bergamot essential oil brings a soft, subtle citrus note to lavender that lifts that mood and brightens the spirit when combined.
5. Lavender and Frankincense Oil
- Use these two powerhouse oils to care for skin, support breathing, promote feelings of relaxation, and connect with inner peace.
6. Lavender and Patchouli Oil
- Nice combo, they compliment each other well. The lavender really tones down the strong patchouli smell. I like to fewer drops of patchouli than lavender when blending them together otherwise the patchouli scent is too strong. Adding sweet orange to the mix makes an especially pleasant blend.
7. Lavender and Vetiver Oil
- Need a chill-out essential oil combination? If yes, this blend is for you. Vetiver is another base oil like patchouli so fewer drops are needed than lavender. Smells nice together, earthy aroma with a floral kick, a favorite bedtime blend.
8. Lavender and Rosemary
Lavender and rosemary essential oil blend is a powerful combination that can be used to achieve both physical and mental well-being.
- Lavender brings relaxing effects, aiding in reducing tension and stress, while the rosemary serves as a stimulant with antibacterial qualities, which helps to protect against germs and purify the air.
- This mixture of lavender and rosemary has the power to lift your spirits with its amazing aroma and it can be used either in an oil diffuser or applied topically for best results.
Featured DIY Recipe - Lavender Buds Body Oil Blend
Lavenders blend together well too! Try this recipe and see what you think! Use this blend as a skin moisturizer or as a muscle massage oil when feeling achy or sore after a workout or hike.
- 6 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 6 drops Spike Lavender (Lavandula latifolia)
- 1 oz (30 ml) Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis)
- 1 oz (30 ml) glass dropper bottle
Directions: Add all ingredients into the dropper bottle, mix together, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions About Mixing Lavender Essential Oil
What other essential oils mix with lavender?
There are a variety of essential oils that can be blended with lavender oil to create a unique and therapeutic aroma. Some of the most popular essential oils to blend with lavender oil include: rosemary, grapefruit, tea tree, jasmine, ylang ylang, ginger, sandalwood, cinnamon, clove, myrrh, neroli, clary sage, lemon, lime, and more.
What are some tips for creating my own lavender essential oil blends?
Creating your own lavender essential oil blends can be a great way to customize your aromatherapy experience and create something unique that is tailored to your individual needs. Before you begin blending your essential oils, it is important to choose a base oil. This will help to dilute the essential oils and make them easier to work with.
How should I store my lavender essential oil blends?
To ensure that your lavender oil lasts as long as possible, it is important to store it in an airtight container, away from any direct sunlight or heat. This will help preserve the oil's natural aroma and therapeutic properties.
You can also extend the shelf life of your essential oils by storing them in a cool, dark place. This will prevent the essential oils from degrading due to exposure to light and heat.
Furthermore, it is important to store essential oils away from any sources of heat, such as direct sunlight, radiators, and any other heat sources. This is because heat can cause the oils to break down and lose their potency, making them less effective.
Additionally, heat can cause the oils to evaporate quickly, meaning you will have to use more of the oil to achieve the same effect. This not only leads to a waste of the product, but it also means that you will have to replace the oils more often. This can be a hassle, as well as an added expense.
How long does a lavender oil blend last?
The answer to this question depends on a few factors, such as the type of lavender oil blend, the storage conditions, and the ingredients used in the blend. For example, if you are using a pure lavender essential oil, it can last up to two years when stored in a cool, dark place.
What are some of the best essential oil combinations to use with lavender oil?
The best essential oil combinations to use with lavender oil depend on the desired effect. Lavender oil is known for its calming and soothing properties, so it is often used in blends to promote relaxation and a sense of well-being.
Where to Buy Essential Oils?
Essential oils are great because not only do they make you feel good physically but mentally as well. I love having them around since they have so many benefits like clearing the air of bad odors and improving moods by releasing calming scents in your home or office!
All essential oil brands carry lavender oil, so that's great news. We are frequently asked what essential oil brand we like, here are some of our favorites: