Lavender and peppermint oil make a fabulous duo! This synergistic essential oil combination has so many awesome uses for all natural health and wellness.
Lavender and peppermint are two MUST HAVE oils in my home because they are both so versatile. I am never without them and I highly recommend them for every home. They are both affordable essential oils and beneficial first aid essential oils.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia) is the queen of supportive oils. It is so nourishing to the skin and soothing to the nervous system. Here are some highlights of what lavender is good for:
- Soothes inflammation and pain
- Assists with cuts, burns, and bites
- Balances emotions
- Offers reassurance and strength
- Helps to clear infections
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita) is a fresh and penetrating oil, its minty aroma really brightens the day. Here are some highlights of what peppermint is good for:
- Helps clear congestion
- Supports digestive system
- Encourages circulation
- Soothes sore muscles and joints
- Promotes natural energy
Lavender and Peppermint Oil
Here are 10 powerful ways I like to use this combo in my home.
#1. Natural Air Freshener
- Try this blend in an essential oil diffuser to freshen the air in your home. I use equal parts, usually 4 drops of lavender and 4 drops of peppermint in my ultrasonic diffuser and let run for about 1 hour to naturally freshen and brighten the atmosphere.
#2. Sunburn Relief
- I like to use aloe vera gel when I have a sun burn with 1 drop each of lavender and peppermint essential oil. I rub it onto affected areas for cooling relief and healing properties. I keep my aloe vera gel in the refrigerator so it is cool when applied.
#3. Insect Bite Soother
- I love roller bottles for bug bites, they are easy to grab and roll on when the bite is discovered or gets really itchy. Add 5 drops Lavender and 5 drops Peppermint into 10 ml Roller bottle and fill rest of bottle with jojoba oil (or favorite carrier oil). Roll directly on the bite and around the area. 5% dilution. Here is an alternative Essential Oil Blend for Bug Bites.
#4. Refreshing Foot Bath
- Blend 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil with 2 drops of lavender oil and 2 drops of peppermint. Add in 1/4 cup Epsom salt and mix together. Place salt blend into foot basin and add 8-10 cups hot water that you can comfortably place your feet into. Soak feet for 15 minutes. I like to follow up with moisturizer to feet and comfy socks.
#5. Headache Assist Roll On
- In a roller bottle I like to use this combo to apply to my temples, forehead, behind ears, and back of neck. I will usually add in frankincense oil as well, here is the recipe I use:
- Headache Support Roller Blend: 4 drops Lavender, 4 drops Peppermint, 2 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) Add oils into 10 ml Roller bottle and fill rest of bottle with jojoba oil (or favorite carrier oil). 5% dilution. Read more about using essential oils for headaches.
#6. Digestive Support
- Both oils can assist the digestive system you can use a massage oil of these to. For an even more powerful digestive blend, add in cardamom essential oil.
#7. Mood Support
- I add equal drops of lavender and peppermint in the vial, swirl to mix them together, and then dispense one drop on the pendant. Be sure to label the vial. Inhale to aroma of this bright synergistic blend throughout the day
#8. Pain Relief
- In a roller bottle I like to use 5 drops Lavender and 5 drops Peppermint into 10 ml Roller bottle and fill rest of bottle with jojoba oil (or favorite carrier oil). Roll directly on the bite and around the area. 5% dilution.
#9. Clear Breathing
- Make an aromatherapy inhaler to support and help open up breathing. Add 6 drops Lavender and 6 drops of Peppermint to cotton wick and place into essential oil inhaler. To use, deeply inhale the aroma.
#10. Allergy & Sinus Support
- A favorite trio of essential oils for allergies is lavender, peppermint, and lemon. You can use just the duo or add in lemon oil for a trio. Place 5 drops each of the trio oils on an aromatherapy inhaler and inhale as needed. Read more about essential oil inhalers.