Buying essential oils can get expensive, that is for sure. It can be especially difficult if you are on a strict budget. Here we highlight thirty affordable essential oils that you can build your collection with on a limited budget.
These are really great aromatherapy oils too, oils that are filled with so many therapeutic qualities. While we all have to watch our bottom line, these budget-friendly essential oils are worth looking into.
You also have to remember that your new, pure essential oils will be replacing some things like over the counter remedies, cleaning products, and beauty products if you make homemade recipes from them.
When looking for the best affordable essential oils to buy, it's important to research various essential oil companies to compare prices, quality, and customer service.
Why Invest in Essential Oils?
Essential oils are an all-natural way to improve your health and the health of those close to you. Whether you are looking for natural remedies, to reduce stress and anxiety, or to improve your sleep, essential oils can change your life.
Essential oils have a long history of antiviral, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties.
Essential oils, like citrus oils or lavender, are a great way to relieve the stress and calm your mind to help you sleep better. Essential oils like peppermint and rosemary are great for that extra boost to keep you going, for focusing when you're feeling scatter-brained, as well as for the immune system when fighting off sickness.
Not to mention how much money it can save you from not having to purchase over the counter medicines. Plus, you can save money by using your essential oils to make homemade bath and body recipes, natural beauty potions, and cleaning products!
Essential Oils vs Fragrances Oils
Essential oils are naturally occurring scents that are extracted from different parts of plants (fruit, leaf, stem, bark, root, and flower). On the other hand, fragrance oil and perfume oils are manufactured aromas designed to imitate the smell of a natural product.
Be sure to read the labels and buy 100% pure essential oils. Organic essential oils are the most desirable, but be aware that they will cost a little more because they have organic certification.
Essential Oil Testing
Most essential oil companies will do testing to assure quality oils, here are the two tests most commonly used:
- Gas chromatography (GC) is a powerful analytical tool used to identify and quantify the components of essential oils, and is often used to verify the purity and composition of essential oils.
- Mass spectrometry (MS) is a powerful analytical technique that is used to identify the components of essential oils, and to verify the purity and composition of essential oils by measuring the mass-to-charge ratio of the molecules present in the sample.
Tips for Buying Essential Oils on a Budget
Buying essential oils can seem like an expensive hobby, but that doesn't have to be the case! The key to buying essential oils on a budget is to do your research.
Here are tips to choose high quality essential oil brands:
1. Don't Overbuy
- When I first started using essential oils, I remember buying a huge collection, a big bundle because that was the "best deal". In hindsight, it actually hindered my essential oil growth by buying so many oils at one time.
- I had many oils that collected dust and expired because I just had too many bottles and I was still finding my way with essential oils at the time. The use of essential oils was still foreign and having such a large collection was overwhelming for me.
2. Essential Oils Expire!
- When I first started with essential oils, I was told they didn't expire, so it was okay to buy such a big collection. If you have heard this too, that essential oils do not expire, it is simply not true!
- Essential oils do get old and expire. When? It depends on what oil it is as to how long it will last, as well as other factors. Factors like how it is stored, when it is opened, how much oil is in the bottle, etc.
- So, I am not here to encourage you to buy a huge set or to even sell you a huge set, you can relax :)
3. Buy Fewer Bottles at One Time
- I am actually encouraging you to purchase 1 to 3 oils at a time so you can actually spend some time learning all about each oil, get comfortable using each oil, and find out how YOU react to the oil.
- I find it so beautiful now to buy an oil and then really get to know that oil. I like to see how I respond to it, what I think of the aroma, and how it can support my well being.
4. Buy the Right Bottle Size
- I am also not encouraging you to buy the biggest bottle. If it is a new oil for you, it is best to get a small bottle to try. I know it is hard to resist the discount on the larger bottle, but if you do not like it, the money will be wasted anyway, right?
- Essential oils are commonly sold in 5 ml, 10ml, and 15 ml. For those needing oil in bulk or a larger bottle, some companies offer a 1 oz size.
- Budget wise, if it is an oil you know and love, like lavender oil or peppermint oil, of course you should buy the bigger bottle. But if it is an oil you know nothing about, say palmarosa, start small, like a 5 ml or 10 ml bottle.
5. Make a Wishlist
- Got your eye on rose oil, frankincense, sandalwood, or another costly oil? Create a wishlist for any expensive essential oils you want to add to your collection.
- Ask for wishlist oils as gifts, or start an oily savings fund. It may take time but these oils are worth the wait. In the meantime, try an oil substitute in its place.
6. Stock Up During Sales
- Start by comparing prices online, as well as looking for essential oil sales and coupon codes. Buying when an essential oil brand is having sales, holiday sales, customer appreciation sales, anniversary sales, etc.
- We highlight sales each week in our newsletter, so be sure to join. Also, buying essential oils that are packaged in sets, kits, or bundles are usually cheaper.
A little on how I came up with this list of affordable essential oils. I researched several essential oil brands and found all these oils consistently were the lowest priced oils.
These cheapest essential oils are also fairly common oils that any aromatherapist or DIYer would love to have, no off the wall oils that you will never use.
With these tips in mind, you can purchase essential oils that are both pocket friendly and of great quality!
Top 30 Affordable Essential Oils
How much do essential oils cost? This will depend on the brand you buy from, the essential oil you are buying, and the size of the bottle. For example, if you want to buy rose essential oil you will shell out a couple hundred dollars, but if you buy lemon essential oil you will pay around $5-12, depending on the oil bottle size.
In this list of essential oils for cheap I included the botanical names. You will also find a link to where you can buy these low-cost essential oils if interested. All prices are under $15 per bottle with the majority being around $9-10.
At the bottom of the page, you can get a FREE PRINTABLE CHECKLIST to download and print out. Here is our list of inexpensive essential oils:
1. Balsam Fir - Abies balsamea
2. Cajeput - Melaleuca cajuput
3. Cedarwood Atlas - Cedrus atlantica
Cedarwood Himalayan - Cedrus deodara
Virginian Cedarwood - Juniperus virginiana
4. Cinnamon Leaf - Cinnamomum zeylanicum
5. Citronella - Cymbopogon winterianus
6. Clove Bud - Eugenia caryophyllata
7. Copaiba - Copaifera officinalis
8. Cypress - Cupressus sempervirens
9. Eucalyptus Dives - Eucalyptus Dives
Eucalyptus Globulus - Eucalyptus globulus
Eucalyptus Radiata - Eucalyptus radiata
10. Fennel - Foeniculum vulgare
11. Grapefruit - Citrus paradisi
12. Juniper Berry - Juniperus communis
13. Lavender - Lavandula angustifolia
Spike Lavender - Lavandula latifolia
14. Lemon Oil (Expressed) - Citrus limon, Phototoxic
Lemon (Distilled) - Citrus limon, Not phototoxic
15. Lemongrass - Cymbopogon flexuosus
16. Lime (Expressed) - Citrus aurantifolia, Phototoxic
Lime (Distilled) - Citrus aurantifolia, Not phototoxic
17. Mandarin - Citrus reticulata
18. May Chang (Litsea) - Litsea cubeba
19. Niaouli - Melaleuca quinquenervia
20. Nutmeg - Myristica fragrans
21. Orange (Blood Orange) - Citrus sinensis
Sweet Orange - Citrus sinensis
22. Palmarosa - Cymbopogon martinii
23. Patchouli - Pogostemon cablin
24. Peppermint - Mentha piperita
25. Petitgrain - Citrus aurantium
26. Pine (Scots Pine) - Pinus sylvestris
27. Rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis
28. Spearmint - Mentha spicata
29. Tangerine - Citrus reticulata
30. Tea Tree Oil - Melaleuca alternifolia
How to Use Essential Oils Frugally?
An easy way to save money when you use essential oils is to always dilute your oils with a carrier oil first before applying them topically to the skin. One drop of oil can go a long way when diluted. You can apply it to a larger area of the body and you can avoid skin irritations.
Aromatherapy oils are highly concentrated, using carrier oils does not weaken their power, it actually gives them more time to absorb and slows down the evaporation process for your precious oils.
Where to Buy High Quality Essential Oils For Cheap?
Don't have the essential oils you need? To buy cheap essential oils you don't have to sacrifice quality!
Here are some of our favorite brands that offer high quality, best priced essential oils:
- Barefut Oils - They always offer deals so check out their website!
- Spark Naturals
- Rocky Mountain Oils
- Plant Therapy
- Edens Garden
What is a therapeutic grade essential oil?
Therapeutic grade is simply a marketing term that any company can claim. No government agency or organization “grades” or “certifies” essential oils in the United States.
How To Keep Your Essential Oils Fresh?
It is important to care for your oils after you have made an investment so their therapeutic properties will be preserved. The best way to store and keep essential oils fresh is to keep them away from sunlight, heat, and moisture.
Essential oils are very delicate, so it is best to put them in a cool, dark area, like your fridge or a dark cupboard.
Most essential oils for sale will come in glass bottles when you purchase them, and if they don't I would question the quality of the essential oil company. Keep them in dark-colored glass bottles and keep the bottles clean by wiping with a dry cloth and not using soap or other cleaners that might leave residue behind.
Inexpensive Essential Oil Checklist - Free Printable
No email required for Free Printable, we just ask that you share this page on your favorite social media sites like Pinterest, twitter, facebook or Instagram so others can enjoy as well. Click here for the PDF download!
Final Thoughts on Buying Low Cost Essential Oils
When it comes to affordable essential oils, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, don't be afraid to look for deals and discounts. Many retailers offer sales on essential oils periodically, so it's worth checking to see if they have any upcoming promotions.
Second, remember that quality doesn't always mean expensive. There are plenty of affordable essential oils that are just as high-quality as their more expensive counterparts.
Finally, don't be afraid to experiment with different brands. Just because an essential oil is affordable doesn't mean it isn't good. With a little trial and error, you're sure to find an affordable essential oil that meets your needs.