Castor Oil is a carrier oil that is cold pressed from the seeds of the Ricinus communis plant. The benefits of castor oil for skin are really amazing. It's frequently used as a replenishing moisturizer for all natural skincare.
Castor Oil is a key ingredient in many hair growth serums, eyelash lengthening remedies, and dandruff shampoo. When you use 100% pure oil, it easily absorbs into your skin, lashes, and brows to boost hair growth. It can help your skin and hair retain moisture so they don't get dry during the day.
Learn all about castor oil plus get DIY Castor Oil Recipes below!
What Is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is obtained by cold-pressing castor seeds and then applying heat. Historically, this oil has been used as a laxative, as well as to induce labor.
Today, castor oil is widely used as an ingredient in cosmetics. It can be used on the face and body. Castor oil is thick, it is best to mix it with another carrier oil before putting it on your face, like jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, or coconut oil. It has been cherished for its cosmetic value and healing properties for a long time.
This oil is known for its strong purging and detoxing properties. It is an effective acne
treatment that helps increase cell turnover. It can be a bit too drying for some skin types due to its ricinoleic acid content.
Need Castor Oil? Look for an oil that is 100% pure, cold-pressed castor oil. Here is an organic brand we recommend:
Castor Carrier Oil Spotlight
|Botanical Name||Ricinus communis|
|Skin Type||Best for oily skin|
|Shelf Life||5 years|
|Consistency & Absorption||Very thick and sticky consistency. Castor oil is very drying and must be diluted and mixed with other carrier oils before using.|
How to Use Castor Oil for Skin and Nails
5 benefits of castor oil for skin and nails:
1. Strong Nails
Castor Oil can help your nails grow and get stronger. It is also able to nourish your cuticles and dry hands, especially nice during the harsh winter months. Rub a few drops of oil onto cuticles, nails, and hands.
2. Lip Nourishing
Castor oil can be found in several popular lip glass and lipstick blends. For dry lips, use castor oil to make it better-tasting, mix with coconut oil.
3. Sunburn Relief
Castor Oils anti-inflammatory properties make it a smart choice for sunburned skin. Its moisturizing abilities can also decrease peeling. Apply to skin after sun, lavender, aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and castor oil in a dropper bottle. Possible recipe??
4. Natural Moisturizer for Skin
Applying castor oil on your body not only moisturizes the skin but also locks in that moisture. Castor oil is full of healthy fatty acids. Fatty acids are essential to maintaining good skin health.
5. Anti-Inflammatory Effects
Castor oil is high the fatty acid known as ricinoleic acid. It has been shown to help reduce pain and inflammation in test-tube and animal studies.
Castor Oil for Hair
This popular oil is great for hair too. Dry or damaged hair can especially benefit from an intense moisturizer like castor oil. Here are some uses and benefits of castor oil for hair:
- HAIR GROWTH: Help grow thicker and longer hair naturally. Castor oil has powerful therapeutic properties and is frequently used in hair growth and eyebrow growth serums. This helps promote natural hair growth without the harmful effects from toxic chemicals.
- CONDITIONER: Use castor oil as a natural hair conditioner to diminishes hair loss by lubricating to the hair shaft, increasing flexibility and reducing breakage.
- DANDRUFF: Due to castor oil’s ability to reduce inflammation, it may be an effective treatment for dandruff that is caused by seborrhoeic dermatitis (an inflammatory skin condition that causes red, scaly patches on the scalp). To reduce dandruff, massage a few drops of castor oil onto your scalp to help moisturize dry, irritated skin and may help reduce flaking. Use in a hot oil treatment for dry brittle hair.
- EYELASHES: Use a mascara applicator for eye lashes and brow lines to promote eyelash growth and eyebrow growth. You can apply a tiny amount directly on your lashes before bedtime to promote growth. Stimulates hair growth including eyebrow and eye lash growth.
DIY Castor Oil Recipes
Castor oil is a great carrier oil for essential oils. Get your DIY on with these castor oil and essential oil recipes to beautify your skin and look radiant.
Rosemary Hair Growth Serum
- 6 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 1 tablespoon Castor Oil
- 1 tablespoon Argan Oil or Jojoba Oil
- 1 oz Dropper Bottle
Directions: Add all recipe ingredients to the dropper bottle. Shake to blend together, use on the face after washing.
Healthy Scalp Treatment Oil
Perfect recipe to help with dandruff, dry scalp and hair, and flaky scalp.
- 1 drop Tea Tree Oil
- 1 drop Lavender essential oil
- 1 tablespoon Castor Oil
- 1 tablespoon Virgin Coconut oil (unrefined)
Directions: Place castor oil and coconut oil together in a glass bowl, then place bowl in a double broiler and warm up the mixture but don't overheat (warm enough to melt coconut oil but not to hot you can't apply to scalp. Add essential oils to warm oil, then apply the warm blend to scalp and massage gently. Leave on for 30 minutes to 1 hour (or even overnight if preferred). Wash out of hair with your normal shampoo and conditioner.
Nourished Lips Roller Blend
- 1 drop Lavender essential oil
- 1 drop Frankincense essential oil
- 1 teaspoons Jojoba Oil
- 1 teaspoon Castor Oil
- 10 ml Roller Bottle
Add all recipe ingredients to the glass bottle. Shake to blend together, use on your body, especially nice after showering or before bedtime.
Carrier Oil Detailed Guide
Get our Complete List of Carrier Oils Detailed Guide for free! This guide includes 50 Carrier Oils complete with description, botanical name, skin type oil is best for, shelf life, consistency of oil, and absorption information.
Share on Pinterest