Here is a quick and easy fizzing toilet powder to add to your natural cleaning arsenal. It only takes 2 ingredients plus essential oils. You can use any essential oil in this fizzing toilet powder. This batch I made with wintergreen, but lemon or lime would be great too.
The beauty of this cleaning powder is that when it hits water it has a fizzing, cleaning action!
Fizzing Toilet Powder Ingredients
Check out these chemical free cleaning ingredient used in this recipe:
Baking soda is good for more than just baking, it is a favorite ingredient in natural cleaning. Here's why:
- Absorbs and eliminates odors
- Scratchless cleaning as stains and grease are scrubbed away
- Safely remove stains, dirt and soap scum
Citric acid is used in numerous cleaning applications around the house. I use this ingredient everyday in my home. The area I live in has really hard water, I add a tablespoon of citric acid to each dishwasher load to remove spots from dishes. It is so effective, my dishes and inside of my dishwasher look amazing.
Here are more benefits:
- Antibacterial action make it perfect for natural cleaning
- Has the ability to deodorize toilets
- It's tough on grease and grime
- Use it to remove rust spots
- Effectively removes limescale build up
*Use with caution if asthmatic, it can potentially irritate the nasal passageways and trigger asthma symptoms. I only buy food grade making it safe to use in the kitchen and around children, here is the brand I like:
Wintergreen Essential Oil
It has a fresh and minty aroma that is reminiscent of chewing gum and toothpaste. Wintergreen leaves are put through a steam distillation to extract the essential oil. Here is a little more about wintergreen.
- Minty aroma that is relaxing and deodorizing
- Menthyl salicylate is the principal constituent of wintergreen
- Exceptionally powerful, when used topically, use only in small amounts and for a short duration
- Frequently used for sore, aching joints and muscles
- Avoid this oil for kids under 12, or if pregnant or breastfeeding
DIY Fizzing Toilet Powder Recipe
- 1 cup Baking soda
- 1/4 cup Citric acid
- 20 drops Wintergreen (or essential oil of choice)
- Storage container
In a bowl add baking soda and essential oil drops. Blend together thoroughly using a fork. Once blended, add in citric acid and blend into mix.Store toilet cleaning powder to a storage container, be sure to label container.
Citric acid reacts to water so don't get powder mixture wet until you are ready for the fizzing action to occur. When making this recipe, blending the baking soda and essential oils together first, the baking soda seems to absorb the oil enough so the citric acid doesn't react with added.
Add 1 tablespoon of powder to your toilet. Let sit in toilet for 15-20 minutes, then scrub with toilet brush. Be sure to store the powder away from children and pets.
Share on Pinterest