One area I really love to infuse some serious aromatherapy is in my bathrooms. They get hammered with really funky odors and I like to make sure they smell as fresh and clean as possible. Here are 10 essential oils for the bathroom, along with some recipes to make this space a pleasant place!
Whether spring cleaning is in full swing or it is in the middle of summer, cleaning is essential all year round. Here I share some oily tips, uses, and recipes to make sure your bathroom does not get neglected.
Top 10 Essential Oils for the Bathroom
It's time to clean up your bathroom! Essential oils are a great way to make it smell fresh and feel even better.
While you can use just about any essential oil in just about any place, these are my top 10 essential oils I like to use specifically in my bathrooms, and the reasons why I enjoy them.
1. Lemon Essential Oil
- Nothing says clean like the scent of lemon, a fan favorite essential oil for cleaning!
- This oils bright and refreshing aroma revitalizes the mind and lifts the mood almost instantly
- It's natural anti-fungal, antiseptic, disinfectant, and cleansing properties make it a winner for the bathroom
2. Pine (aka Scotch Pine)
- Offers a refreshing aroma that is reminiscent of walking in a forest
- This woodsy oil invigorates the senses and sharpens thinking
- Cleanses and deodorizes the air and environment
- A great natural alternative to typical cleaning products that use harsh chemicals
3. Tea Tree Oil
- One of the most powerful disinfectants because of its antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties
- The earthy aroma of tea tree oil brings a powerful punch to germs
- Frequently called “First Aid in a Bottle” because if it's cleansing and healing action
4. Peppermint Essential Oil
- Offers a fresh, energizing aroma that stimulates mental clarity and reduces fatigue
- Effectively reduces unwanted bacterial and viral activity
- Leaves a minty freshness that is sure to eliminate bathroom odors
5. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- There are several varieties, I like to use E. Radiata or E. globulus for cleaning
- The aroma of eucalyptus oil is powerful, fresh, penetrating, and medicinal
- This oil is uplifting, soothing and can invigorate your senses
- Helps to purify the air and minimize the spread of illness
Read More: Eucalyptus Spotlight
6. Lavender Essential Oil
- A true winner for, well...everything! No home should be without this oil
- Has a sweet, floral aroma that is calming and cleansing
- Creates a soothing environment to relax in
7. Orange Essential Oil
- The cheerful and familiar aroma of orange is revitalizing and uplifting
- Great for use in room sprays to clear the air
- Its disinfectant action is useful when cleaning the bathroom
8. Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Tangy, citrus aroma that is uplifting and stimulating
- Renowned for its cleansing and purifying properties, making it a fabulous all-natural cleaner
- Inspires positive energy and a healthy relationship with body
Read More: Grapefruit Spotlight
9. Spearmint Essential Oil
- It gently uplifts with a fresh and bright aroma
- A minty alternative to peppermint, it's a kid-friendly oil too!
- It can help relieve a queasy stomach
10. Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Its lemony green aroma acts as an excellent deodorizer in the home
- It is often used in perfumes, deodorants, detergents, and soaps
- This oil works on the body and mind to refresh and stimulate
Read More: Lemongrass Essential Oil Spotlight
How to Use Essential Oils in the Bathroom
Essential oils have many benefits, and they can be used in a variety of ways in your bathroom, here are some ideas.
Diffuse Essential Oils
Diffusing is a perfect way to freshen a bathroom, plus visitors will be pleasantly surprised when they walk into a bathroom that has a diffuser going. Use any one of the oils above or try a diffuser blend, see the recipe section below for a couple to try.
My favorite place to use my nebulizing diffuser is in the bathroom. The reason is simple, it quickly gets essential oils in the air and eliminates odors. I have also enjoyed running it in the bathroom while I am showering. The diffused oil mixes beautifully with the shower steam.
Essential Oil Homemade Sprays
Homemade sprays like room sprays, cleaning sprays, and toilet sprays, are great for cleaning germs and clearing odors. Check out our recipe section below for some blends to try.
Essential Oil Toilet Drops
Do you have any expired essential oils? I usually have a few that are past their prime and no longer considered safe to use on skin, but the aroma is still nice, too nice to throw away. I utilize them in cleaning recipes, the laundry, or as toilet drops.
I keep at least one expired bottle near my toilet and I place one drop directly into the toilet bowl (either before or after use). I label my expired oils I use for this "Toilet Drops" so it reminds me these bottles are expired. Recently I have been using cilantro, oh... it smells so lovely! How many toilet bowls can claim that??
I am sure you have heard the toilet paper roll hack, right? You add 1-2 drops of essential oil to the inside of toilet paper roll you are currently using. As the toilet paper is unrolled, you will catch a scent. Add more drops when the scent fades.
How about the essential oil cotton ball in the trash can? Add a few drops of lemon essential oil (or whatever you wish) and place it in the bottom of the trash can.
Essential Oil Recipes for the Bathroom
Cleaning, freshening, relaxing, disinfecting...all the good things that your bathroom desires!
Sink, Grout and Tub Scrub
This recipe is for one use and best made fresh right before cleaning with it, use all or discard leftovers. I was able to clean two bathroom sinks and one bathtub with this recipe.
Directions: Mix baking soda and Castile soap in a bowl, add in white vinegar and mix (will bubble some). Add the essential oils and blend well. Use microfiber cloths, scrub brushes and toothbrushes (no longer in use) for cleaning.
Spring Bathroom Clean Diffuser Blend
Clear out the odors with this refreshing citrusy mint blend
Directions: Add essential oils to a diffuser with the recommended water. Get more diffuser blends.
Citrus Deodorizing Bathroom Spray
Grain alcohol (like Everclear) is used as a preservative if you do not have access to grain alcohol, it can be omitted but spray must be used in a week or two, click here to read more.
Directions: Add essential oils and grain alcohol into bottle and swirl to mix, fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water. Shake well to blend. To use, shake well before use and spray into the air around the bathroom.
Spearmint Scented Baking Soda
I love to have a shaker of scented baking soda always available for a quick clean. Pair it with a spray bottle of pure white vinegar and you have quite the combo.
Directions: Place baking soda in a bowl, add in essential oil. Using a whisk, mix well. Pour into shaker container using a large funnel. Shake onto desired surfaces (I like to use in shower, sinks, and toilets), then clean with a scrub brush. For a more powerful clean, spray vinegar onto the sprinkled baking soda for some fizzy action, then scrub clean.
Bathroom Freshness Diffuser Blend
Directions: Add essential oils to a diffuser with the recommended water.
Antifungal Tub & Shower Cleaning Spray
This is a great spray to keep your shower fresh between deep cleanings.
Directions: Add essential oils, vinegar, and grain alcohol into bottle and swirl to mix. Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water. Shake well to blend. To use, shake well before use and spray onto shower and tub, allow to air dry.
Lavender Mint Liquid Hand Soap
Directions: Place all ingredients into the bottle, put on lotion pump and shake well to mix. To use, shake well first, then squirt into the palm of hand and cleanse the skin using friction. Rinse well.
The Boy's Bathroom Blend
This trio of essential oils not only smell great like the outdoors but they are also deodorizing which is much needed for the bathroom.
Directions: Add essential oils to a diffuser with the recommended water.
Where to Buy Essential Oils?
Essential oils are great because not only do they make you feel good physically but mentally as well. I love having them around since they have so many benefits like clearing the air of bad odors and improving moods by releasing calming scents in your home or office!
We are frequently asked what essential oil brand we like, here are some of our favorites:
150+ Easy and Effective Essential Oil Blends Ultimate Guide
These DIY bathroom recipes are included in our oily guide:
Share on Pinterest
Related Post to Read:
- Top 12 Antibacterial Essential Oils
- 10 Ways to Use Lavender and Peppermint Oil
- Do Essential Oils Work? Hear From Our Fans!
- How to Choose Quality Essential Oils
- 30 Affordable Essential Oils for a Limited Budget