Do you or your children get tangly hair? Ready to say goodbye to tender scalps and stuck brushes? Here is a Homemade Hair Detangler With Essential Oils that is a natural conditioner, plus it smells just wonderful!
Using all natural hair care is fabulous for your locks and doesn't have to be difficult. Homemade detangling spray is simple to make and easy to use. I have long, fine hair and unfortunately it gets tangled easily, this DIY recipe works perfect for it.
How to Use Homemade Hair Detangling Spray
This natural detangler spray can be used as a leave-in conditioner as well because it contains vegetable glycerin, a natural product for moisturizing hair. It can be used on curly hair, fine hair, dry hair or even oily hair.
When using DIY hair detanglers, one simple technique to prevent hair breakage of tangled hair is to comb damp hair from bottom up. Spray detangler on first then use this technique.
Some homemade hair detangler recipes may call for apple cider vinegar. Unfortunately, the smell makes me not want to use it as a hair detangler spray because that scent stays throughout the day, not pleasant. I prefer to use it in a pre-shampoo hair rinse so I can get rid of the smell during hair washing.
10 Best Essential Oils for Hair and Scalp
For this recipe lavender oil is used because of its nourishing benefits and beautiful aroma, leaving hair soft and smelling great!
There are many essential oil options you could try instead. While lavender and rosemary may be the obvious for hair and scalp, here is our top 10 list in case you want a substitute oil.
- Lavender essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Melaleuca essential oil (aka tea tree oil)
- Ylang ylang essential oil
- Clary Sage essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Roman Chamomile essential oil
- Sandalwood essential oil
- Jasmine essential oil
Read More: Essential Oils for Hair
Homemade Hair Detangler Recipes
We give you two size options for this recipe so you can choose what size you want to make. The 2 oz size is a great starter size to test this recipe and see if it works for your hair. Also make sure you like the scent it offers, if not you can try a different oil.
4 oz Spray Bottle Recipe
- 20 drops Lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin
- Filtered or distilled water
- 4 oz glass spray bottle
2 oz Spray Bottle Recipe
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 1 tablespoons vegetable glycerin
- Filtered or distilled water
- 2 oz glass spray bottle
1) Add glycerin and essential oil into glass bottle, swirl bottle to mix them together.
2) Fill rest of bottle with water, place spray top on and shake well to mix.
3) This natural hair detangler spray can be used on wet hair, damp hair or dry hair. To use, spray onto hair and comb hair from bottom to top with wide tooth comb.
Where to Buy Lavender Essential Oil?
Lavender oil is generally non-irritating and non-sensitizing. It is safe and effective for children as well, who tend to be more sensitive to essential oil than adults.
Don't have a bottle of Lavender? Here are some of our favorite brands:
Lavender essential oil comes from flower buds of the different species. Usually the flower buds are steam distilled to create the essential oil.
This gentle oil is frequently used in perfumes, soaps, deodorants, and household products.
More DIY Recipes for Hair
- Homemade Essential Oil Hair Serum
- Conditioning Hair Oil Treatment Recipe
- DIY Essential Oil Hair Mask
Share on Pinterest