Summer is finally here! Long gone are the winter blues. Break out the pool noodles, sunscreen, beach towels, and have some fun. You can even bring along your best summer essential oils. Try one of our sunny roller recipes or another DIY recipe made for sunshiny days in this Ultimate DIY Recipes Guide for Summer.
Best Summer Essential Oils
In a recent newsletter, we asked our readers: What is Your Favorite Summer Essential Oil?
The answers were multiple choice and they were lemon, grapefruit, orange, lavender, and peppermint. We had 366 people vote, thank you for participating. Grapefruit essential oil was voted #1, here are the results:
# of Votes
5 Essential Oils for Summer
You can enjoy all the scents of summer with so many different essential oils. I picked 5 essential oils for summertime and share reasons to love them now and always. These oils are affordable and common to even the newest oily user. So if you don't have any of these oils below, I highly recommend putting them onto your wishlist.
1. Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Has a fruity aroma that is stimulating and energizing to the body
- Acts as a natural air freshener to eliminate unpleasant odors
- Helps to tone skin and scalp thanks to its astringent and antiseptic properties
- Grapefruit has been used to boost metabolism and for its diuretic effect
2. Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- This powerful oil is not only loved by adults, but kids too for its scent of a freshly peeled orange
- The familiar aroma is wonderful at dispelling tension and fear
- Inhaling orange is comforting and offers feelings of optimism
- It Supports healthy breathing and digestion, plus calms inflammation
3. Lavender Essential Oil
- Most recognizable and widely used essential oil any time of the year
- Extremely gentle and full of therapeutic properties
- Helps ease insomnia, stress, worry, headaches, and more
- Skin healing and anti-inflammatory properties make it a top choice for bug bites, burns, bee stings, rashes, and skin irritations
4. Lemon Essential Oil
- A favorite oil for natural cleaning and purifying the air of odors
- Its bright, sunny aroma promotes a positive mood and outlook on life
- Inhale to improve concentration, energy, anxiety, depression, and grief
- Supportive to digestive, immune, and respiratory body systems
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
- Extremely versatile oil with its crisp, cooling, and minty fresh aroma
- Assists with nausea, digestive issues, motion sickness, and more
- Awakens, energizes, refreshes, and uplifts the mind
- Use in DIY blends for muscle pains and headaches due to analgesic properties
Diffusing Summertime Essential Oils
Diffusing essential oils is a favorite way to enjoy aromatherapy every day. Summer is just another great reason to turn on your diffuser to gain priceless benefits:
- Open airways
- Uplift mood
- Cleanse the air
- Calm down or wake up
- Improve mental clarity
Read More: 10 Summer Diffuser Blends
5 Summer Essential Oil Roller Recipes
These are roller bottle recipes. Pick a recipe below and add it to a 10 ml roller bottle, then fill the rest of the bottle with jojoba oil. Roll bottle between the palms of your hand to blend.
These 5 roller recipes are all 2% dilutions, it may not seem like a lot of drops but it is the right amount for a blend that can be used every day. Read more about essential oil dilution here.
Be sure to let your roller blend marinate for about 24 hours, this allows the oils to fully mingle.
Energizing and invigorating blend. Roll it on your neck, shoulders, and chest to fight off fatigue and feel refreshed.
2. Be Happy
Keep your mood in check with this blend. Roll it on your chest and arms.
3. Fun in the Sun
Let the good times roll with lavender and these uplifting citrus essential oils.
4. Berry Breeze
Let this blend keep you upbeat and positive. Roll it on your wrists and chest, then take a deep breath to inhale the beautiful aroma.
5. Pretty Feet
Keep your feet pretty with this anti-fungal blend. Roll it on your feet, heels, and toenails.
Free Printable Summer Roller Recipes
No email required! We hope you love this free printable and kindly ask that you share this page on your favorite social media sites like Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram so others can enjoy as well.
Essential Oils for Sunburns
Need some quick sunburn relief? Try one or more of these essential oils blended with a carrier oil, unscented lotion, or aloe vera gel. Or you can make a cooling compress with lavender.
- Chamomile (Roman or German)
- Tea Tree
Aloe vera gel is a great carrier for essential oils when sunburnt. Try Aloe Vera Gel Ice Cubes or this Sunburn Gel recipe.
Aloe Vera Sunburn Relief Gel
Here is a simple gel to make and keep in the refrigerator so it will be cool to the skin when applied. Lavender oil is healing and peppermint oil is cooling. All ingredients are soothing and will help with the pain and heat.
Directions: Add all ingredients to the bottle and shake to blend. Apply to skin as needed. 2% dilution.
Essential Oils for Bug Bites and Stings
Summer really brings out the bugs, and being outdoors more often increases the chances of getting bites and stings.
- Roman Chamomile
- Tea Tree oil
- Basil oil
Read more about essential oils for bug bites and get the recipe for Bug Bite Roller Blend, or try this DIY Healing Paste.
DIY Bee Sting & Bug Bite Paste
Directions: place baking soda and drops of oil into a small bowl. Add a few drops of water while blending together until paste forms. Apply the paste onto the affected skin and allow it to dry. Rinse off after 10-15 minutes.
Essential Oil Room Sprays for Summer
I especially love to use room sprays in my bathroom and near my desk (which happens to be close to a bathroom). I kinda have to because I have dogs and boys that tend to unfreshen the air I breathe at times. Essential oil air fresheners work great for this, I always keep one my desk so I can spritz it all around me. I wrote a full post on the topic of Summer Essential Oil Room Sprays.
Inhaler Blends for Summer
150+ Easy & Effective Essential Oil Blends Ultimate Guide
The summer roll on blends are included in our oily guide:
Share on Pinterest