While evergreen essential oils are enjoyed throughout the year, they hold an extra special appeal during winter, especially during Christmas time.
Christmas is a time for warmth, reflection, family, traditions, and creating memories. The crisp, clean, and woodsy aromas of evergreen oils have grounding properties that help instill peace and calming.
The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can bring stress and anxiety, conifer essential oils are perfect to combat these issues. They are also helpful when dealing with respiratory issues and pain.
Conifer Essential Oils vs Evergreen Essential Oils
What are the differences between Conifers and Evergreens?
When I think of evergreen trees, I instantly think about pines and trees with needles. Many times conifer and evergreen are used interchangeably but actually there is a difference between these two classifications of trees.
Conifer means "bears cones". Shrubs and trees that are categorized as conifers form cones with seeds to reproduce instead of flowers.
Most conifers are evergreens, but NOT ALL Evergreens are Conifers.
Evergreen means "green leaves throughout the year". Plants and trees that stay green all year and keep their foliage (they don't lose their leaves/needles) are considered evergreens. There are many other trees besides conifers that keep their leaves year-round.
While this post is about evergreen essential oils, I am focusing more specifically on conifer essential oils, the oils that smell like pine and forest scents.
Top 10 Evergreen Essential Oils with Benefits
Whether its fir, spruce, cypress, or pine, you are sure to benefit from the uplifting and invigorating forest aromas.
These oils are also wonderful for DIY cleaning and naturally freshening the air. No synthetic air freshener can match the wonderful fresh forest scent that these pure essential oils offer.
Many of the conifer essential oils have similar qualities with slightly varying aromas.
1. Cypress Essential Oil
Cupressus sempervirens OK for Kids 2+
- Promotes healthy circulation
- Eases unwanted muscle spasms
- Helps open airways
- Reduces the presence of bacteria
- Calms feelings of overwhelm
- Read more about Cypress Essential Oil
2. Silver Fir (aka White Fir)
Abies alba, OK for Kids 2+
- Offers energizing effects
- Reduce stress and uplifts the atmosphere
- Soothes lung and chest issues
- Evokes feelings of empowerment
- Read more about Silver Fir Essential Oil
3. Siberian Fir (aka Fir Needle)
Abies sibirica, OK for Kids 2+
- Promotes sinus healthy
- Invites forgiveness & self-acceptance
- Reduces minor pain & inflammation
- Increases positive, calm energy
4. Balsam Fir
Abies balsamea, OK for Kids 2+
- Quiets spastic coughs
- Instills a sense of calmness
- Helps clear the lungs to inspire easy breathing
5. Juniper Berry
Juniperus communis, OK for Kids 2+
- Reduces fluid retention
- Decreases minor pain and inflammation
- Instills a sense of enthusiasm
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Offers peace and comfort during trying moments
- Read more about Juniper Berry Essential Oil
6. Douglas Fir
Pseudotsuga menziesii, OK for Kids 2+
- Soothes spastic coughs
- Promotes clear airways & easy breathing
- Creates an uplifting environment while freshening the air
- Strengthens the immune system
7. Pine (Scotch Pine, Scots Pine)
Pinus sylvestris, OK for Kids 2+
- Supports the body during a cold or flu
- Soothes inflamed sinuses and spastic coughs
- Eases muscular & rheumatic pain
- Helps to improve air quality
- Assists emotions when dealing with anger and frustration
8. Hemlock (aka Spruce Hemlock, Tsuga)
Tsuga canadensis, OK for Kids 2+
- Eases sore throats and coughs
- Soothes sore muscles
- Supports overall immunity and vitality
- Helps to overcome fatigue
- Clears mucus and congestion
- Read more about Hemlock Essential Oil
9. Black Spruce
Picea mariana, OK for Kids 2+
- Soothes respiratory issues
- Reduces inflammation
- Soothes aches and pains
- Calms muscle spasms and coughs
- Encourages clear breathing
Cedrus atlantica, OK for Kids 2+
- Calms a restless mind or spirit
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Increases self-esteem and confidence
- Provides astringent and antiseptic actions, great for skincare
Evergreen Essential Oil Uses
- Diffuse any of the above oils to freshen and cleanse the air in your home
- Inhale evergreen oil of choice before mediation to clear mind and bring calmness
- Use in massage oil to stimulate tired muscles and soothe a tense body
- Place 2-3 drops on the shower floor for a wonderful aromatherapy experience
- Add one drop of desired oil onto diffuser necklace to promote emotional wellness throughout the day
- Place a few drops on cotton balls and place around the home or in the car for forest freshness
- Breath from nasal inhale to support respiratory issues
- Calm muscle and joint aches by diluting 1-3% with your favorite carrier oil and massage in a circular motion on the affected areas
Evergreen Diffuser Blends
Try these evergreen essential oil blend recipes. Add essential oils to a diffuser with recommended water for your diffuser tank. Read more about diffusing essential oils. I like to use a 100-200 ml water tank diffuser but you can use whatever size you prefer.
1. O' Christmas Tree
Here a a scent reminiscent of Christmas and Holiday celebrations.
2. Evergreen Melody
|Four woodsy tree essential oils to scent your space with a forest smell.
3. In the Forest
|Enjoy this outdoor essential oil blend that includes the citrus aroma of tangerine.
4. Crisp Forest Morning
|Enjoy waking to fresh forest air? Try this stimulating essential oil recipe in your diffuser when you first wake up.
5. Evergreen Purifier
|Freshen your environment with this diffuser recipe blend of outdoor scented purifying oils.
6. Spasmodic Cough
Need some respiratory support for a bad cough? Here is an aromatherapy blend for clearing the airways.
7. Respiratory Support - Cold & Flu
When feeling ill, try this essential oil diffuser recipe that promotes respiratory health.
8. Tree Farm
The lovely aroma of tree essential oils is a favorite for winter time.
9. Evergreen Holiday
Here is an energizing aromatherapy recipe for brightening up your holidays.
10. Hidden Garden
Inhale this aromatic blend of calming and comforting essential oils.
Evergreen Essence Blend
Wondering what essential oils are in this premade blend? I like to know the oils used in premade blends in case I want to try to create a DIY version of it.
Evergreen Essence Blend by Young Living:
- Blue spruce oil (Picea pungens)
- Ponderrosa pine oil (Pinus ponderosa)
- Scotch pine oil (Pinus sylvestris)
- Red fir oil (Abies magnifica)
- Western red cedar oil (Thuja pilcata)
- White fir oil (Abies concolor)
- Black pine oil (Pinus nigra)
- Pinyon pine oil (Pinus edulis)
- Lodgepole pine oil (Pinus contorta)
- Other conifers
General Essential Oil Safety Precautions
Never use essential oils undiluted, in eyes or mucous membranes. Do not take internally unless working with a qualified practitioner. Keep out of reach from children.
Use essential oils with extreme caution on children, be sure you have researched the oil and that it is safe for use on kids. Plant Therapy clearly labels their oils "KidSafe" on the bottle if the oil can be used for children ages 2–10.
If applying an essential oil topically (on your skin), you may perform a small patch test to an insensitive part of the body, use 1-2 drops in a teaspoon of carrier oil like jojoba oil, read more here.
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, epileptic, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. For more information on oil safety issues here.
Newbie to Oils? Read More: Essential Oils for Beginners
Share on Pinterest
Get More Diffuser Blends: