Diffusing essential oils is one of the most popular and effective ways to enjoy aromatherapy benefits. If you are new to using essential oils for diffusing and are wondering how to use an essential oil diffuser, read on.
Maybe you are new on your essential oil journey, that is okay, I am here to help. Diffusing favorite essential oils can be an exciting way to use essential oils.
Essential Oil Diffusers Guide
Aromatherapy Diffusing Guide with 200+ Diffuser Blends by Jennifer Lane, Loving Essential Oils Owner & Certified Aromatherapist:
What are the Benefits of Diffusing?
Many positive therapeutic benefits can be gained when diffused essential oils molecules are inhaled. Here are just a few reasons to turn on an aromatherapy diffuser:
- Scent a room
- Cleanse the air
- Boost immunity
- Promote energy and focus
- Calm stress and anxiety
Read more about the Benefits of Diffusing Essential Oils
Essential Oil Diffusers
The most utilized type of diffuser for essential oils today is an ultrasonic diffuser. This type uses ultrasonic waves and water to disperse essential oils into the air.
They are widely available in many sizes, shapes and price ranges. This is the type of diffuser we are focusing on today to teach you to use.
Here is the aromatherapy diffuser pictured in this post by Viva:
How To Use An Essential Oil Diffuser
1. Choose Location
- Pick an open area in a room or office with a solid surface or tabletop. You will need an outlet to plug it in. Also, since water is being used, it is good to have a placemat or towel down if you are using on a wood surface.
- I have a diffuser on my nightstand near my bed and one in my family room on a solid table. For best use, avoid placing in direct sunlight or near a fan.
2. Add Water
- Once you have your place picked out, fill your diffuser water tank to the fill line of the water reservoir with clean tap water that is room temperature.
- Most diffusers have a water level line on the inside of the water reservoir or a measuring cup to fill up and then add to the reservoir, refer to your diffuser manual for the recommended water amount your diffuser requires.
*DO NOT OVERFILL or your aroma diffuser may not run properly.
3. Add Aromatherapy Oils
- Next, add 3-10 drops of essential oils to the water. You can use a single essential oil like lavender, or an essential oil blend. See below for recommended oils to diffuse.
- Usually, 6 drops of oil is enough but sometimes you may want more oil for a stronger scent. You can experiment with the essential oil amounts to see what you prefer.
Not sure what to diffuse? Get our Essential Oil Diffuser Guide with over 200 Diffuser Blends for lots of recipes to try:
4. Turn On
- Place cap or top of diffuser back on as your diffuser requires. Set which features you would like if your model has options like a nightlight or color changing LED lights. Turn on and enjoy the wonderful scent!
Here are a few of my personal favorite ultrasonic diffusers available on Amazon at affordable prices:
Not all aromatherapy diffusers are the same, some have options depending on the model you purchase. You may be able to set the length of time you want the diffuser on, or different time cycles you can choose from like on for 30 seconds then off for 15 seconds.
Some also have light options you can turn on for a display of colors or a solid color. These features vary widely depending on brand and model.
Essential Oil Diffuser Video:
How To Clean Your Diffuser
It is also best to do a quick clean after use, here are the steps to follow:
- Unplug diffuser and remove any water left in the reservoir.
- Clean inside with a small brush and warm water (most diffusers come with one or you can use a clean paintbrush dedicated to cleaning your diffuser).
- Rinse out and dry off.
- Use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the ultrasonic chip found in most water reservoirs.
- Let the diffuser air dry.
Best Essential Oils To Diffuse
Here are my favorite single essential oils to diffuse alone in a diffuser and some of the reasons I have used them.
Lavender Essential Oil: The scent is calming, relaxing, good for sleep, anxiety, sadness, restlessness, reducing stress
Peppermint Essential Oil: Diffuse for improved concentration, focus, alertness, respiratory support, refreshing aroma, mental fatigue, seasonal allergies, headaches
Lemon Essential Oil: Good for uplifting, detoxifying, cleansing, purifying, deodorizing, energizing
Frankincense Essential Oil: Use during meditation, yoga, good for balancing, lifting spirits, improving focus, anxiety, spiritual awareness
Grapefruit Essential Oil: Helps reduce food cravings, uplifting, balancing, enhances mood, relieves anxiety, stress, tension
Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Great for nasal congestion, respiratory ailments, breathing discomfort, insect repellent, bug bites
Sweet Orange Essential Oil: Cheerful scent to improve mood, calm anxiety, digestion, uplifting, natural detoxifier
Share Tutorial On Pinterest
Perk Up Diffuser Blend
Here is a great Diffuser Blend to try, it will make your home smell good and it is perfect for a natural perk up in the morning times before work or school:
Want to take this diffuser recipe on the go? Try it in an essential oil inhaler. They are convenient to take with you in the car, purse or even at work. You can get blank inhalers here.
Perk Up Inhaler Blend
For complete instructions, read our full blog post on nasal inhalers.
Diffusing essential oils can be really wonderful and a great way to use your essential oils every day. You can learn more about diffusing oils here:
- What Is An Essential Oil Diffuser
- Benefits of Diffusing Essential Oils
- 7 Easy Aromatherapy Diffuser Blends
- 8 Aromatherapy Diffuser Blends For Mood
- Reed Diffuser with Recipe Blends