An essential oils diffuser is a tool to distribute essential oils into the air creating positive effects on the entire body. Diffusing is an effective method to address physical, mental, emotional and spiritual issues.
Emotions are often said to be the root cause of many physical illnesses.
When you breath oil molecules in from the essential oil diffuser, your amygdala is activated. The amygdala is located in the brain and it manages your emotions and memories.
Have you ever smelled a scent in the air and had it bring back a memory? Whenever I smell pumpkin pie, it brings up memories of Thanksgiving and time spent with my family when I was younger.
More than any other sense, our sense of smell can change our mood, bring back memories, and ease tension. Here are some diffuser benefits you can enjoy.
Benefits of Essential Oil Diffusers
Having an aromatherapy diffuser in your home diffusing essential oils throughout the day can have many benefits to your overall well-being.
- Removes unpleasant odors and airborne pathogens
- Relaxes the mind and body
- Relieves tension and stress
- Improves mental clarity, clears the mind
- Calms emotions
- Increases alertness
- Cleanses the air
- Positive effects on mood
- Opens airways
- Helps with weight management
- Improves concentration
- Strengthens the immune system over time
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
Popular types of essential oil diffusers include:
- Ultrasonic: Most popular type for aromatherapy, uses water, is humidifying
- Nebulizer: Good second option, no water needed, humidification free, read more
- Electric: Air blown over the oils, a passive diffusion
- Reed Diffuser: Passive diffusion
- Wax Warmer: Warms up wax melts that are scented with essential oils
I do not recommend lamp rings or candle diffusing because the heat can damage the therapeutic benefits of the essential oil. There is also a greater risk for fire with those methods of use. A wax warmer could be an option.
Wax Warmers vs Ultrasonic Diffusers
I have used an electric wax warmer with essential oils. You need to make wax melt before so the essential oils are mixed with beeswax and other carrier oils.
I think it is a great option over using essential oil candles because they don't get the essential oils so hot and there is no open flame to worry about. The concern is if the therapeutic benefits are still intact because heat has been applied to them.
While I do think wax warmers offer a good alternative to a candle for scenting a room, I still prefer to have an ultrasonic diffuser instead. Ultrasonic diffusers offer greater benefits when compared, plus I love the humidification they supply.
What Essential Oil Diffuser Should I Buy?
You can see from all the benefits listed above that having an essential oil diffuser running in your home is a must!
If you do not have an essential oil diffuser than I highly suggest you purchase one. This is a great investment for your overall wellness. A diffuser will cost between $20-$100 depending on style.
The most popular type of diffuser to use with essential oils is an ultrasonic diffuser (aka humidifying diffuser). My absolute favorite diffuser is from Edens Garden, it is more expensive but worth it to me. It is my everyday diffusing machine, click here to read more about this specific ceramic diffuser.
You can find a good model for about $20-30, here are some options:
What Essential Oils Should I Diffuse?
There are many possibilities for what essential oils to diffuser. For a simple diffuser blend, pick a single oil.
- Lavender, Cedarwood, Chamomile: Excellent oils for before bedtime or creating a relaxing environment.
- Lemon, Tea Tree, Lemongrass: Perfect oils for freshen a room and eliminate odors.
- Peppermint, Wintergreen, Spearmint: Looking for minty freshness, try one of these stimulating oils.
- Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Bergamot: Uplift your mood, support healthy emotions, and be happy!
- Eucalyptus, Cypress, Laurel Leaf: Support your respiratory system, ease lung and throat complaints.
- Rosemary, Basil: Mental clarity, focus, and sharpen memory.
- Ginger, Cardamom, : Support healthy digestion, ease stomach and digestive aliments
You can also try different essential oil blends, many essential oil companies offer premade blends you can purchase, like Breathe Easier from Edens Garden.
I really like to create my own blends with different single essential oils, I have a whole category dedicated to diffuser blends, plus a printable guide!
5 Beneficial Diffuser Blends for Wellness
Pick a recipe below, add to your diffuser with the recommended water required for your diffuser, turn on and enjoy! Read more about diffusing essential oils.
1. Take a Breather (Emotional Support)
- 2 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Bergamot
- 2 drops Frankincense
2. Sun Shiny Day (Uplifting)
- 4 drops Tangerine
- 2 drops Geranium
- 1 drop Ginger
3. Let It Go (Relax Mind & Body)
- 2 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Clary Sage
- 1 drop Sandalwood
- 1 drop Vetiver
4. Minty Magic (Energetic Blend)
- 2 drops Eucalyptus
- 2 drops Tangerine
- 2 drops Orange
- 2 drops Spearmint
5. Tropical Breeze (Ease Worries)
- 3 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Bergamot
- 2 drops Sandalwood
- 1 drop Lemon
Want A Printable Essential Oil Diffuser Guide With Recipes? Download Our Guide:
Share On Pinterest