Do you know that some essential oils have antiviral properties? Yes, it's true but did you know that essential oils thought to be “antiviral” do not kill all viruses.
There have been limited studies done on the topic of essential oils and viruses and while this post is about antiviral essential oils to diffuse, it is not to be used as a treatment or cure, but as a natural way to support the mind and body through aromatherapy.
Essential Oils and Coronavirus
At this point, there is no research into the effect essential oils may have on the coronavirus so it is important to keep that in mind when searching the internet on this topic. There's a really well-written and detailed article from Tisserand Institute about this exact topic, here is a snippet:
"It’s important to note that prevention and treatment are not the same thing. An essential oil that kills virus particles in the air or on the skin is a different concept to one that interferes with the actions of a virus once it has entered the body. At this time, we cannot suggest any aromatherapy formulations to either prevent or treat SARS-CoV-2 infection."
Antiviral Essential Oils List
Antiviral simply means prevents viral growth. Here is a list of essential oils that are thought to have antiviral properties.
- Bay Laurel
- Clove Bud
- Eucalyptus radiata
- Ho Wood
- May Chang
- Savory (Winter)
- Tea Tree
Antiviral Essential Oils to Diffuse
Some of the essential oils from the list above are hot oil and may not be ones you want to use topically on your skin. Using them aromatically in essential oil diffuser blends tends to be a preferred method. They can also be used in aromatherapy inhalers or even essential oil sprays.
When it comes to diffusing antiviral essential oils, you can diffuse a single oil from the list above, create a blend of aromatherapy oils using a few different oils from the list, or try one of the blends we share below. Get creative and see what you like best with the essential oils you have on hand.
How to Diffuse Essential Oils
To use antiviral essential oils in an aromatherapy diffuser, you need to add 5-10 drops of essential oil to the diffuser with recommended water for your diffuser tank. I like to use a 100-200 ml water tank diffuser, but you can use whatever size you prefer. It is best to diffuse in 30-minute intervals as to not overwhelm the space and your senses.
Here are the steps:
- Place diffuser on a steady surface away from fans and direct sunlight
- Add recommend water for your diffuser to the water reservoir tanks fill line
- Add essential oil drops, 5-10 drops per 100-200 ml of water
- Plug machine in and turn on with desired setting for your machine
- Diffuse for up to 30 minutes
5 Antiviral Diffuser Blend Recipes
Here are a few essential oil diffuser recipes to clear the air and support wellness.
1. Fresh Mess
- 3 drops Palmarosa essential oil
- 2 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 1 drop Patchouli essential oil
2. Wellness Blend
- 2 drops Cinnamon Bark
- 2 drops Clove Oil
- 2 drops Eucalyptus Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Oil
- 2 drops Orange Oil
3. Thyme to Purify
- 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 2 drops Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
- 1 drop Thyme essential oil
4. Respiratory Support
- 3 drops Ravintsara essential oil
- 2 drops Oregano essential oil
- 2 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 drops Lemon essential oil
5. Fresh Air
- 4 drops Orange essential oil
- 3 drops Clove essential oil
- 3 drops Tea tree essential oil
More Aromatherapy Blends & Recipes to Enjoy
Share on Pinterest