Essential oil sprays are great for kids because you know they are all natural and non-toxic. Lets face it, many products on store shelves contain ingredients that none of us want around our children.
As we become more educated on natural health choices, it is almost a no-brainer to look to essential oils for our everyday issues, especial for our children.
I love the Critter and Bed Bug Spray, I gave this one to my youngest child that is afraid of bugs, he loves spraying it all over his room and on his mattress to keep them out!
Before we get to the recipes, lets first find out what are the best essential oils for your kid's health as well as how you might use them with your child at home.
10 Best Essential Oils for Children
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses plant-derived essential oils to balance the body and reduce stress. Using aromatherapy and essential oils for children can help with physical, mental, and emotional ailments. They are a great way to promote wellness among kids of all ages!
1. Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender essential oil is a wonderful way to calm children before bedtime.
- The scent of lavender can help your little ones relax. It promotes feelings of peace and calmness.
- Use this oil to calm your child's mind so they can get some sleep.
- Lavender oil helps increase feelings of happiness by promoting serotonin production which boosts moods and reduces stress levels.
2. Vetiver Essential Oil
- Vetiver is a great essential oil for children because it has a calming effect.
- It may help provide relief from these feelings so that kids can relax without feeling overwhelmed.
- Vetiver oil may be the perfect solution to help your child focus better in school or at homework.
- This oil is perfect to use during the day or before bedtime to help your child feel more at ease.
3. Orange Essential Oil
- Orange essential oil is a great way to help your children relax after a school day.
- This oil is perfect for stress and anxiety because it provides a sense of calmness.
- It smells great and also helps with focus and concentration which are both important skills for children.
- Orange essential oil is a great way to help children get a good night's sleep.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Melaleuca essential oil (Tea Tree) is antiseptic and can "clean up" any cut or scrape.
- Great for clearing congestion and opening the airways.
- Tea Tree Oil is a good substitute for peppermint when making diy recipes for children, as peppermint oil is very potent.
5. Frankincense Essential Oil
- Frankincense essential oil has a calming and uplifting aroma, which is perfect for children.
- This oil can be used to calm down tantrums or meltdowns as well as at bedtime.
- Use frankincense and lemon essential oils to support your child's focus.
- It's also great for winding down before bedtime!
6. Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Sandalwood calms the mind and can be used in times of panic or meltdown.
- There are many benefits of sandalwoodoil for children such as the ability to relieve stress and anxiety, improve sleep quality, and strengthen immune system.
- Sandalwood can be used in a variety of ways such as diffusing in the air or applying topically.
- It has a sweet scent that is calming and soothing which makes it perfect for children who are often restless or anxious at bedtime.
7. Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Cedarwood essential oil has a calming and soothing aroma.
- It can help improve connection and relationships with others.
- Cedarwood oil is a good substitute for peppermint or eucalyptus when making respiratory support blends and recipes.
- When used aromatically, it creates a tranquil environment that helps children wind down at the end of the day.
8. Juniper Essential Oil (aka Juniper Berry)
- Juniper essential oil is a great smelling oil that smells like Christmas trees and pine needles.
- Juniper oil can be used to soothe fussy children.
- It's great to calm night terrors and for helping with distress caused by loud noises.
- Juniper is perfect for children of all ages as it helps to alleviate stress and promote restful sleep when used aromatically in the bedroom, either sprayed or diffused.
9. Lemon Essential Oil
- Lemon essential oil has been shown to have calming effects on children.
- Its antibacterial and antifungal properties help fight off colds and skin infections too.
- Lemon oil is a refreshing, upbeat aroma that can be used aromatically to cleanse the air and remove odors.
- Try to apply it onto the bottom of your child's feet when they are restless and fidgeting, be sure to dilute it first with a carrier oil.
10. Bergamot Essential Oil
- Bergamot essential oil has calming effects and can reduce stress levels which makes it an ideal choice for children who have difficulty sleeping at night.
- This citrus scent will brighten up your day and increase feelings of well-being.
- Bergamot oil can help with digestive problems and respiratory issues.
- This oil may help relieve scattered thoughts while promoting focus and clarity.
Are Essential Oils Safe for Children?
Essential oils can be safely used on children. However, there are some extra precautions you should take when using essential oils on children.
Children's skin is more sensitive and delicate than that of adults. It is important to dilute essential oils before you apply them topically.
Children also require less oils than adults because their bodies are smaller and more sensitive. Essential oils should only be used by children under the supervision and guidance of adults.
How to Use Essential Oils for Kids
Essential oils are not a fad. They can provide amazing benefits for everything, from attention problems to runny noses.
Essential oils can be used to help anyone, but I'm going to concentrate on the great benefits for children. Let's start with some ground rules and safety tips when using essential oils for children.
- Buy Smart: It is important to choose the best essential oils. You should look for a reputable company that offers only 100% pure essential oils with quality control testing done on their products.
- Application Methods: Pure essential oils can be used topically or aromatically on children. It's best to avoid internal use. Using essential oil sprays for children is a great way for them to experience aromatic benefits of the oils.
- Topical Use: When applying essential oils topically to children's skin, dilute them with carrier oil. They are more sensitive than others, so using oils "neat" may cause sensitivities or rashes.
- Aromatic Use: Use an aromatherapy diffuser made for essential oils when diffusing oils. The oil should not be heated as this would cause it to become denatured. You should also avoid oils being placed in humidifiers. These are not made for use with essential oils. If you are diffusing oils for your children or yourself, ensure that air flows freely in your space.
- Avoid these Areas: Essential oils should never be applied directly to the nose, ears, or eyes. When you apply essential oils topically to children, ensure they don't touch them or accidentally rub their eyes. If this accidentally happens, soothe the area with fractionated coconut oils.
- Keep Away from Reach: Essential oils should be kept out of reach from children. While essential oils are natural, children should not be allowed to access your essential oils on their own. They can cause serious harm if they are ingested or applied to sensitive parts of the body without supervision.
All Natural Essential Oil Sprays For Kids
Essential oil sprays are a great way to use oils because they are easy to make, use and take. There are, of course, many spray bottles that you can fill with all kinds of goodness, but the spray bottles you will absolutely need if you have children are here!
1. Goodnight Bedtime Spray
Do you have a child that is afraid of monsters in the closet or a little one who you struggle with to put to bed each night? This bedtime spray could be called "Monster in The Closet Spray" instead and kids can use in closets and under beds to ward off any "monsters" that may be sneaking around before bedtime.
Not only will this DIY essential oil spray freshen up your child's room, it will also making it easier for them to drift off into dreamland and get a more restful nights sleep!
Directions: Fill the bottle with water and add essential oils. Shake well then spray on pillows, bed linens, and sheets to assist with sleep.
2. Head Lice Prevention Spray Recipe
If your children are in school, head lice is bound to go around. When it does, keep your child’s hair pinned up as best as you can and spray the head lice spray on their hair, backpack, jacket, and any other material item they are taking or using at school.
Directions: Fill the bottle with water and add the essential oils. Spray on liberally to prevent the little beasts from attaching to your child and their things. This is not meant for babies or toddlers.
3. Owie Spray Recipe
If you have children, it’s inevitable that they get hurt. If it is a cut, a bruise, whatever the case may be, the Owie First Aid Spray can be effective.
Directions: Fill the bottle with filtered water and add essential oils. Shake well and spray on a bruise, cut, or small sore. Pat the area with a gauze or paper towel to remove any dirt or blood, otherwise let the spray air dry.
4. Critter and Bed Bugs Spray
This spray is multipurpose and can be used for critters or bed bugs. Kids have many fears and they tend to arise more so at night, arm your child with this spray so they can sleep tight.
I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “Sleep tight; don’t let the bed bugs bite.” Well, there ARE bed bugs and it’s super easy for kids to bring them home from school. Give this spray a try.
Directions: Fill the bottle with water and add essential oils. Shake well then spray on bed linens, sheets, clothes liberally to detour these bad bugs from sticking around. These oils are also effective against other bugs and critters as well.
Summary of How to Make Essential Oil Sprays for Kids
I love how easy that these sprays are to make, so simple a child could even make them. What I love most about these sprays is that I can give the bottles to my children to use and know they will be safe with the mixture. You could also make these recipes for friends and family, they make great DIY gifts. Just add cute labels and ribbons and you are all set!
Where to Buy Essential Oils
Essential oils are great because not only do they make you feel good physically but mentally as well. I love having them around since they have so many benefits like clearing the air of bad odors, improving moods by releasing calming scents in your home or office for instance!
We are frequently asked what essential oil brand we like, here are some of our favorites:
Share on Pinterest