We understand your desire for the best for your children and that it can be difficult to determine which best essential oils are for children. No worries, here is a Kid Safe Essential Oils List to assist you.
Finally know what essential oils are safe for children! We have a printable list for you too at the bottom of this post, download it for easy reference.
When buying essential oils, it's best to only look for those that are 100% pure essential oils to ensure that they are natural, plant-sourced, and completely safe to use.
Are Essential Oils Safe For Children?
There are some essential oils that can safely be used on children, and there are some that should be avoided.
Children are smaller and more at risk of toxicity. Their metabolism is not as effective as adults. Their skin is more sensitive too, and they are more prone to breathing problems.
Before using essential oils on a child, you should research and verify the oil is safe to use. It is recommended that essential oils are not used on children under 2 years old.
It is important to keep your family healthy and happy. Essential oils are a great way to promote health and happiness in the lives of you and your loved ones. Read on for some essential oil uses for kids!
Top 10 Must Have Essential Oils for Kids
While some essential oils are too strong to be used by children, there are many child-friendly essential oils that you can use safely and effectively.
Here are the top natural essential oils for children.
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender ranks number one on our list due to a number of well-known benefits.
Lavender Oil is gentle enough to soothe skin irritations. It is antiviral and antibacterial, so it's great for cleaning toys and surfaces without harsh chemicals.
Are your children having trouble sleeping or anxious? Lavender oil is one of the most effective essential oils to help with anxiety in children because it has natural calming properties.
While it is best to start using essential oils with children ages 2 years and up, lavender essential oil is one oil that is thought gentle enough for children aged six months or older.
2. Chamomile Essential Oil (German or Roman)
Chamomile can help create a calm environment for your children. Both Roman Chamomile as well as German Chamomile can soothe the mind and body, and promote calmness and better sleeping habits.
German Chamomile can also be used to soothe a sore stomach, relax tight muscles and reduce skin irritations. You can add a few drops to your child's bath or use it topically in their bedroom.
While it is best to start using essential oils with children ages 2 years and up, chamomile essential oil is one oil that is thought gentle enough for children aged six months or older.
3. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood essential oil can be used topically or aromatically to promote calmness. This is especially useful after a bad dream or an upset mood. Sandalwood oil is a great way to help kids relax and sleep.
Children are notorious for getting bumps, scrapes and boo-boos. Using sandalwood essential oil is a great way for your child to boost their natural healing abilities and fight germs from owies.
You can use any type of snadalwood, they all share similar chemistry and can be used interchangeably. Here are the main types of sandalwood oil:
- East Indian
Sandalwood is an uplifting oil that can be used during bath time or as a soothing massage. It's also helpful for relieving aches and pains, headaches, bug bites, acne, dry skin and more!
4. Orange Essential Oil
Children can experience many emotions. Orange essential oil will keep your child calm and happy. Orange, like all citrus oils can help to stimulate a happy mood and more optimism. This is great for parents who feel they are reaching their limit, or for children that need a mood boost.
Are your children having trouble sleeping through the night? Orange essential oil can be used to help children sleep soundly through the night. To help your child drift off to sleep, diffuse the oil in their bedroom.
5. Vetiver Essential Oil
Are your kids getting a little too wild and you're looking for something natural to help them calm down? Vetiver essential oil is the perfect solution! It can be used to help with sleep, focus, and even calming nerves.
Vetiver oil is associated with wellness, calmness, and balance. It's commonly used to help kids sleep better at night. Vetiver can create an atmosphere of relaxation that will help kids fall asleep faster.
Its sedative properties have been shown to be helpful in reducing anxiety.
6. Cedarwood Essential Oil
Cedarwood essential oil is something every parent should keep on hand for their child. Cedarwood oil is known for its ability promote healthy breathing and to support the body's natural healing processes.
Cedarwood oil has antiseptic qualities and can be used to promote clear, healthy skin and ease the discomfort associated with acne. It's great for any cuts or scrapes that your child may have too.
It can also be used as a natural remedy for children with dry scalps.
This oil is calming, skin smoothing, and smells woody. It's an immune supportive oils that has a relaxing aroma.
7. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil has been shown to be a powerful tool for calming kids. It can help them sleep better, increase their focus and relieve anxiety.
We love its sweet earthy scent that is grounding and helps create a sense of calm for kids of all ages.
Try using lavender or chamomile mixed with frankincense for bedtime, or clary sage blended with frankincense to balance emotions.
8. Spearmint Essential Oil
Kids are always on the go. They're constantly running, jumping, climbing and being active. But sometimes they need help calming down or getting to sleep at night. Aromatherapy is a great way to calm kids down without medication!
Spearmint essential oil can be used for everything from calming nerves before an important test to easing bedtime restlessness.
9. Cardamom Essential Oil
Do you have a child who is always on the go? Is your toddler getting into everything and never taking a break to rest? If so, we recommend cardamom essential oil for kids.
It's unique aroma can calm an anxious person down by calming their mind and body. The spicy scent of cardamom helps with concentration which makes it perfect for children who are always moving around. Additionally, it can help boost energy levels too!
Cardamom oil is also supportive for respiratory and digestive health and great to have around during cold and flu season.
10. Eucalyptus Dives Essential Oil
Eucalyptus is very supportive to the respiratory system. Its cool, crisp, and menthol aroma opens breathing, clears sinuses, and stops sniffles just to name a few. It would also be good diffused for seasonal threats, or using in an antimicrobial cleaning blend.
What's exciting about eucalyptus dives oil is that it is kid friendly! Unlike other eucalyptus versions, E. dives doesn't contain large amounts of 1,8 cineole (has 1-2% only), a strong chemical component that is not recommended for use around young children.
How to Use Essential Oils on Children Safely
It is important to practice safe use of essential oils when you are preparing to use them around children. Essential oils can be very concentrated and potent.
Always keep essential oils out of direct sunlight and children's reach.
These safety tips should be considered when using essential oils around children:
Always, always, always dilute!
Avoid direct application of undiluted oils to skin. Essential oils can cause adverse reactions in children more than adults. It is therefore important to be safe when using essential oils.
Undiluted oils applied to skin can cause skin irritations. Essential oils are concentrated so you only need a few drops mixed with carrier oil. Children can use 0.5-1% dilution in carrier oil like jojoba oil or fractionated cocnut oil.
Our dilution chart can help you determine how much oil to dilute with when used topically. For all ages-related dilution rates, please refer to our dilution chart.
Do not add undiluted essential oils in your bathwater. The oil and water do not mix so the concentrated form may irritate your skin. Add essential oils to a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil first. Use caution as oils make things slippery with water.
Practice safe diffusion
Do not diffuse essential oils in an enclosed area that is poorly ventilated. Children should be kept out of direct contact with the mist.
Diffuse oils at intervals of 30-60 minutes.
Don't Put Them Here!
Avoid putting essential oils in the eyes, nose, mouth, ears, eyes, ears, and other sensitive areas of your child's skin.
Keep essential oils away from children. Essential oils should not be allowed to be ingested by children.
Don't overuse oils. You should be careful about how often and how many oils you apply to your child.
Do a Skin Patch Test
Before applying new essential oils to large areas of skin, always do a patch test. Wait 24 hours to determine if you have an allergic reaction.
After the patch test is completed, be sure to monitor for any negative reactions such as skin irritation, headaches, nausea, respiratory problems, or dizziness.
Avoid using hot oils or oils that may be harmful to children. This includes topically applying oils and diffusing oils.
50 Kid Safe Essential Oils List
This list contains oils that are considered safe for children ages 2 and up. It does not take into consideration that everyone is different so if any negative outcomes occur, discontinue use.
1. Amyris (Amyris balsamifera) - calming, relaxing, supports skin health, natural deters insects.
2. Bergamot FCF (Citrus bergamia) - uplifting, calming, cleansing properties, FCF is the sun safe version of bergamot. Read more about phototoxicity.
3. Bergamot Mint (Mentha citrata) - promotes peace, calming, supports digestive health and immune system, soothes muscle tension.
4. Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) - uplifting, calming, cleansing properties, pain relieving.
5. Black Spruce (Picea mariana) - relaxing, positive effects on emotions, supports respiratory and skin health.
6. Blue Cypress (Callitris intratropica) - grounding, promotes vitality, use for immune support, repels mosquitoes, soothes skin irritations.
7. Blue Tansy (Tanacetum annuum) - powerful antioxidant, uplifting, soothes skin, reduces blemishes.
8. Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) - digestive aid, mood booster, warming oil, supports healthy lungs and breathing.
9. Catnip (Nepeta cataria) - stimulating, insect repellent, relieves minorr aches and pains.
10. Cedarwood (Virginian, Himalayan, Texas, or Atlas) - relaxing, repels bugs, supports respiratory health, antiseptic properties, use for cuts and scapes, dry scalp.
11. Chamomile (Roman or German) - relaxing, calming, revitalizing, helpful for sleep, soothing to skin, eases sore muscels and cramps.
12. Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum) - digestive aid, antioxidant support, combats allergies, purifying and cleansing properties.
13. Citronella (Cymbopogon winterianus) - bug repellent, lifts mood, fights fatigue, elliminates odors.
14. Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) - relaxing, assists with sleep issues, prevents nightmares, reduces stress, inspires creativity.
15. Clementine (Citrus clementina) - boosts mood, eases anxiety, helps with sleep, stregthens immunity, assists with colds and cngestion.
16. Copaiba (Copaifera officinalis) - soothes achy muscles, respiratory support,calming, skin health, natural pain relief.
17. Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) - eases upset stomach,calming, promotes relaxation, improves mood, digestive support.
18. Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) - refreshing, energizing, skin irritations, grounding, respiratory support.
19. Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) - focus, uplifting, relaxing, cleansing properties, skin health, respiratory support.
20. Eucalyptus citriodora (Lemon Eucalyptus) - calming to the nervous and respiratory system, eases breathing, refreshing, citrus scent, naturally repels insects.
21. Eucalyptus Peppermint (Eucalyptus dives) - relaxing, refreshing, mentally stimulating, opens breathing, better sleep.
22. Fir Balsam (Abies balsamea) - energizing, refreshing, woodsy scent, relaxes muscles and joints, soothes coughs and sore throats.
23. Frankincense (all types) - immune support, relaxing, soothes cuts and bruises, spiritual connection, helpful for sleep, reduces stress and tension.
24. Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) - promotes healthy skin, relaxing, uplifting, eases tension and stress.
25. Ginger (Zingiber officinalis) - digestive support, warming oil, minor pain relief, respiratory health, eases nausea and motion sickness.
26. Grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi) - refreshing, cleansing, purifying, great for oily skin, improves mood, promotes balance.
27. Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) - anti-inflammatory properties, relaxing, improves sleep. wound healing, pain relieving, natural remedy for bruising.
28. Ho Wood (Cinnamomum camphora) - calming, promotes peace, skin refreshing, antiviral properties, alleviates stress, emotionally uplifting.
29. Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis) - calming, supports health breathing, use for pain relief, reduces emotional and physical stress, digestive aid.
30. Lavandin (Lavandula x intermedia) - this oil is a hybrid of True and Spike Lavenders, use for skin issues, relaxing, calming, commonly used in soaps and bathing products.
31. Lavender (Lavandula augustifolia) - aka true lavender, relaxing, calming, helps focus the mind, great for all skin concerns, helps fight germs, great for emotional support.
32. Lemon (Citrus x limon) - mood boosting, supports immune function, cleansing, energizing, refreshing, kids love the scent.
33. Lime (Citrus x aurantifolia) - uplifting, cleansing, fights mental fatigue, invigorating, freshens air, healthy breathing, supports immune system.
34. Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) - calming, uplifting, soothes nervous tension, grief support, promotes sleep, citrus and sweet scent.
35. Neroli (Citrus aurantium) - promotes healthy skin, eases emotional stress, dealing with grief, nervous tension, exhaustion.
36. Orange (Citrus sinensis) - refreshing, uplifting, cleansing properties, soothing to mind and body, digestive aid, kids love the scent.
37. Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii) - digestive aid, skin soothing oil, balancing, uplifting, emotional support, asissts with grief.
38. Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin) - relaxing, rejuvenating, sleep aid, supports healthy skin, calms emotions, natural deodorant, insect repellent, medatative.
39. Petitgrain (Citrus x aurantium) - uplifting, energizing, beneficial for skin, balances emotions, upset tummy, comforts the body and mind.
40. Pine (Pinus Sylvestris) - invigorating, stimulating, clarifying, forest fragrance, sharpens thinking, transformative, immune and respiratory support.
41. Pink Pepper (Schinus molle) - stimulating, relaxes the nervous system, clears the mind, assists with pain, supports immune health.
42. Rose (Rosa x centifolia) - calming, relaxing, skin nourishing, promotes inner harmony. ricj floral scent, grief support, can use rose aboslute instead if preferred.
43. Rose Geranium (Pelargonium roseum) - calming, encouraging, balances emotional state, anti-inflammatory properties, calms skin irritations.
44. Sandalwood (Australian, Hawaiian, and East Indian) - calming, relaxing, promotes sleep, supports healthy skin, anti-inflammatory properties, balances emotional state.
45. Spearmint (Mentha spicata) - energizing, mental clarity, eases congestion, awakens the mind and body, supports healthy digestion and immune systems.
46. Sweet Marjoram (Origanum majorana) - revitalizing, calming, sedative effect, promotes restful sleep, eases anxiety, relieves sore muscles and stiffness.
47. Tangerine (Citrus reticulata) - calming, sedative and relaxant properties, soothes mbody and mind, eases tummy aches, peaceful rest.
48. Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) - cleansing, skin healing, soothes bug bites, disinfecting, first aid oil, respiratory health.
49. Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides) - grounding, wards off pests, promotes deep concentration, clarity, emotional and physical balance.
50. Yuzu (Citrus junos) - inspiring, purifying, uplifting, supports respiratory health, eases worry and tension, pain relieving.
Download Our List of Kids Safe Essential Oils
Download this valuable cheat sheet to have, lists 50 essential oils that are considered safe for children as well as reasons to use them!
Where to Buy Essential Oils for Kids
Essential oils are great because not only do they make you feel good physically but mentally as well. I love having them around since they have so many benefits like clearing the air of bad odors and improving moods by releasing calming scents in your home or office for instance!
Be sure to only purchase 100% pure essential oils from a trusted source. We are frequently asked what essential oil brand we like, here are some of our favorites: