Essentials oils have been popular since ancient times for their pain-relieving properties. These essential oils for pain relief work wonders whether you diffuse them, inhale them, apply diluted directly to painful areas, or add into products like massage oils, lotions, and creams.
10 Best Essential Oils for Relieving Pain
If you're like most people, you occasionally experience pain. Whether it's from a workout at the gym, a day of hard labor, or an injury, pain can be debilitating and frustrating. Thankfully, there are some essential oils that can help relieve pain quickly and effectively.
Here are some of the best essential oils for pain relief:
1. Lavender Essential Oil
- The lovely smelling lavender oil is the number one remedy for all kinds of ailments, including migraines and headaches. It can soothe and relax you, relieving tension, stress, and anxiety.
- Inhaling lavender can be sufficient in some cases or you can add a few drops to a carrier oil of choice and massage the blend into the neck and temples for fast relief.
- Use it in a warm bath to help with sore muscles and/or joint pain. This is a great way to soak away your worries and discomfort at the end of a long day.
2. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Chamomile is a very effective essential oil for pain and has been used for TMJ, lower back, muscular pain, neuralgia, headaches as well as stress.
- As a very active anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic agent, chamomile is great for digestive problems and abdominal cramps.
3. Rosemary Essential Oil
- Rosemary essential oil works as a pain reliever for the head, joint, and muscle aches. It also acts as an appetite stimulant and memory enhancer.
- Applying topically reduces soreness and rheumatism, just be sure to dilute with a carrier oil or unscented lotion first before applying topically to the skin.
4. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties which make it a perfect pain-relieving essential oil when it comes to muscle injuries and sinus congestion.
- For sinus congestion you can diffuse eucalyptus to open inflamed passages. For application on the skin, dilute it with a carrier oil and use it in natural remedy essential oil recipes for assisting with sprains, strains, nerve, and muscular aches.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
- It is one of those essential oils for pain relief which has been used since ancient times. Peppermint essential oil soothes nausea, indigestion, and stomach ache.
- Peppermint energizes when fatigued and also is very useful for headaches and migraines. Add a few drops of this minty oil to a roller bottle, along with lavender and frankincense essential oil. Fill the rest of the bottle with jojoba oil and roll a small amount onto temples and back of the neck, massage gently for effectiveness. It also relaxes muscle tension.
6. Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- Juniper essential oil contains anti-spasmodic and anti-rheumatic properties. Regular use helps in soothe discomforts and soreness in the body.
- If you apply it with lotion or cream, it reduces muscle spasms as well as joint and muscle aches as a result of arthritis, fibromyalgia, and similar issues.
7. Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Small amounts of clary sage oil is very useful for relieving muscle pain, spasms and cramping.
- It does wonders with menstruation and menopause symptoms. Works well for stress headaches also.
8. Clove Essential Oil
- Clove essential oil helps relieve soreness from a toothache, just mix a drop of clove with a small dab of coconut oil and apply it with a cotton swab to affected tooth and gum.
- A drop of clove oil with warm water can soothe throat pain when gargled. Or use a few drops of clove oil blended with jojoba or olive oil to relieve muscle, joint pain, and soreness.
9. Wintergreen Essential Oil
- Wintergreen is a warming oil that has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It contains methyl salicylate that has cortisone-like action which helps in relieving inflammation.
- It can alleviate muscle and bone pain and reduce discomfort in joints. This oil must be kept out of reach from children and must be well diluted with a carrier oil before topical application.
10. Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Helichrysum essential oil is a powerful essential oil for pain relief having antispasmodic, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory qualities. Don't let the high cost stop you from buying a small bottle. This oil is totally worth the price, and you only need a drop or two when using.
- When you apply on a bruise, it not only minimizes your pain but the discoloration of skin too which makes the bruises disappear faster.
- For relief of soreness caused by sunburn, couple helichrysum oil with coconut oil and apply to the affected area for soothing relief.
Best Carrier Oil for Pain
Trauma Oil is amazing to use in essential oil blends for pain relief. It is actually 3 herbs that have been infused into a carrier oil like olive oil. Here are the herbs in the blend:
- St. John’s Wort: Is a powerful anti-inflammatory, highly antiseptic, antiviral, speeds up the healing process, and helps relieve cramps.
- Calendula: Also known as marigold, calendula has been used medicinally for centuries and is great for reducing inflammation, treating damaged skin (unbroken), burns, rashes, and sprains.
- Arnica: Improves the local blood supply where applied, used to treat swelling, arthritis, and insect bites.
You can use trauma oil in massage recipes, roller blends, or as a carrier oil for aromatherapy.
An essential oil massage is a therapeutic massage technique that uses essential oils to help promote relaxation, reduce stress, and improve overall wellbeing, and the essential oils used can last anywhere from one to five years, depending on the essential oil, storage and usage conditions.
Essential Oil Recipes for Pain Relief
Pain comes in all types, shoulder pain, joint stiffness, dysmenorrhea, back pain, migraine pain, arthritis pain, menstrual cramps, and so much more. Here are just a few pain relief blends to try:
Pain in the Neck Roller Blend
I created this roller blend for my neck soreness and tension. To use, just roll onto the neck and shoulders, then massage in for tension relief.
Directions: Add essential oils to the roller bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with trauma oil. 5% dilution.
Calming Leg Cramps Blend
Support your legs with this calming blend of essential oils and kick those cramps to the curb! The oils in this blend were picked for their ability to soothe muscle cramps, spasms, and to ease tension.
Directions: Combine the essential oils and jojoba oil in the dropper bottle, then shake gently. When you get a leg cramp, massage this oil into the area until the pain eases. 3% dilution.
Soothing Joint Hand Rub
Soothe and warm uncomfortable joints with this hand rub. Juniper berry and lavender help to comfort your joints, muscles, and immune health. Grab it during urgent situations for quick aid or rely on it to assist with chronic soreness every day.
Directions: Add lotion to glass jar leaving room at the top to stir in essential oils. Add oils and mix well. 2% dilution.
Final Thoughts on Essential Oil Blends for Pain
Using essential oils in aromatherapy can be beneficial. However, if used incorrectly or in excess, they can cause skin irritation, as well as other adverse reactions such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea. Before using any essential oil, it is always important to perform a skin patch test to ensure that you do not have any adverse reactions to the oil, as the quality and age of the oil can affect its potency and effectiveness over time.