Nope. NOT today! That is precisely how I feel about being COLD. Cold weather? No thanks. I’ll chase the summer sun as much as I possibly can. Cold water? I’ll pass on that too. And what is up with the arctic condition of most airports? A few hours in a terminal and I’m borderline hypothermic.
Now that I’ve painted a clear picture of just how much I shy away the COLD… the last thing that I thought I would ever do is WILLINGLY take a cold shower.
So why stand under an icy stream of frigid water and feign off frosty feelings? To boost my health of course!
5 Ways Cold Showers Can Improve Your Health Today
Not only does it help boost your immune system, but it can also increase your energy levels and mood. Plus, it's a great way to start your day fresh!
1. Enhances Your Alertness
- Helps increase overall oxygen intake.
- Increases your heart rate and blood flow.
- Gives you a natural energy boost!
2. Go on… get HAPPY!
- The intensity of cold water on your skin sends a huge amount of electrical impulses to your brain, which lifts your mood.
- Has an antidepressant effect when cold showers (hydrotherapy) are used regularly.
- Acts as an all natural pick-me-up!
3. Supports Your Immune System
- Cold water gets your blood circulating to all of your organs, and can improve your overall health.
- Helps lower blood pressure.
- Clears blocked arteries.
4. Flawless Skin and Hair
- Cold water tightens cuticles and pores, preventing them from getting clogged and inflamed.
- Helps create a barrier on your scalp and skin to prevent dirt from building up.
- Hot water dries your skin out… so always end with a blast of cold water to enhance your skin!
5. Helps Heal and Recover
- Ice baths and cold showers have been used by athletes for many years to aid in a speedy recovery.
- Relieves muscle soreness.
How to Survive a Cold Shower
Want to make the most of a cold shower without freezing your buns off? A simple method is to alternate from hot to cold, which is known as Hot and Cold Therapy or the Contrast Shower:
- Stand under hot water for 3 minutes.
- Turn the shower to COLD and stand under the water for 1 minute.
- Repeat this cycle 3 to 4 times.
More Natural Health Posts To Enjoy:
- What Is Dry Brushing and Why Do It?
- How to Use Natural Rose Water to Improve Complexion
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Health & Beauty
- 6 All Natural Sleep Remedies for Insomnia
- 5 Ways Meditation Can Positively Benefit Your Health
Share on Pinterest
Author Bio: Lindsay Sibson
|World Traveler. Writer. Lifestyle Design Enthusiast. Minimalist. Adventurer.