Back pain. We’ve all experienced it at one time or another, and we all know that when we’re dealing with it, it’s really no fun at all. Learn how to use Essential Oils for Back Pain plus try out the DIY Pain Relief recipe.
Back pain can happen for a variety of reasons – from medical conditions to simple over-use or strain. Lifting and carrying heavy objects, sitting too long, twisting, and jerking the back muscles quickly are all common reasons one might experience back pain when an underlying medical concern isn’t present.
When we’re talking about medical concerns of the back, these include conditions such as muscle strains, spinal stenosis, herniated discs, arthritis, and osteoporosis.
6 Easy Ways to Prevent Back Pain
Back pain can be experienced in the neck (cervical spine), middle of the back (thoracic spine), and/or lower back (lumbar spine) and can be an intense, sharp pain, achiness, tightness/stiffness, or even muscular spasms.
While the causes and actual symptoms of back pain are varied, the one thing they all have in common is that when we’re experiencing them, we want to relieve our pain as quickly as possible. That being said, as the well-known cliché says – an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure, so let’s first talk about ways that we can prevent back pain.
1. Use good posture. How you sit, stand, and move throughout the day has a significant impact on your spinal health. Poor posture can lead to back pain and other problems.
2. When lifting, lift with the legs, not the back. Did you know that most back pain is caused by improper lifting? If you're not careful, you can easily injure your back while lifting heavy objects. But with a little bit of practice using your legs and not your back, you can safely lift. Also, be sure to get help when lifting heavy objects.
3. Do back stretches periodically throughout the day. This is especially important if you have a desk job. Doing back stretches throughout the day has been proven to alleviate back pain and stiffness associated with prolonged periods of sitting.
4. Exercise. Being active is a great way to prevent back pain – choose an activity you love and get moving! Exercise is a great way to strengthen your muscles and keep your spine flexible, both of which can help reduce your risk of back pain.
5. Eat a balanced diet. Eating healthy includes eating veggies, fruits, protein (meat) and whole grains. These foods contain natural vitamins and minerals which can help with LBP. Eating too much junk food causes inflammation in the body which causes back pain to worsen. So make sure you eat a balanced diet!
6. Chiropractic care and/or massage therapy. These alternative health treatments can not only alleviate back pain, but when used regularly, can stop back pain before it even starts.
Here is a quick back stretch video with 3 simple stretches that anyone can do:
Now, let’s move on to what to do when we do experience back pain.
Natural Ways to Relieve Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor. It can be caused by a number of things, from injuries to poor posture. If you're struggling with back pain, there are a number of natural ways you can relieve it.
- Visit the chiropractor
- Rest while using ice or heat over the affected area
- Use essential oils for relief
Essential Oils for Back Pain
There are many great essential oil options for alleviating back pain, let’s take a look at a few.
|Cooling Oils||Peppermint, spearmint, rosemary|
|Warming Oils||Ginger, black pepper|
|Anti-inflammatory Oils||Lavender, frankincense, copaiba|
|Analgesic Essential Oils||Lemongrass, sweet marjoram|
It’s best to use these oils topically, here are two ways:
Use in a pain relieving massage oil or mixing with Epsom salts in the bath are both great application techniques. Remember, if you’re using essential oils in the bath you need a proper carrier oil or other dispersant – Epsom salts do not count as a carrier!
Ginger Essential Oil For Back Pain
Ginger oil has anti-inflammatory properties which makes it great for relieving aches and pains caused by inflammation such as arthritis. Ginger has been known to relieve nausea which is great because having lower back pain can sometimes lead to feeling nauseous. Its warming properties help with pain relief too!
Essential Oil Blend for Back Pain
I want to leave you with a recipe to help the next time you find yourself or a family member dealing with back pain.
For this blend you can uses trauma oil, it is the perfect carrier oil for pain blends. You can substitute it with another carrier oil if needed, like jojoba oil. Read more about trauma oil.
Back Pain Be Gone Blend
This blend is a massage oil blend and can be applied right over the painful areas of the back. Additionally, a few drops of this blend could be added to a warm bath as well.
Directions: Add your drops of each essential oil to a dark glass bottle. Measure out your trauma oil and add it to your blend of essential oils. Close the bottle tightly and roll it gently in your hands to mix the oils together.
This recipe is a 4.5% dilution, for temporary issues. Apply directly to painful areas of the back 3-4 times per day.
More DIY Recipes for Pain
Are you looking for more ways to relieve pain naturally? If so, you're in luck! We've gathered some of our favorite DIY recipes that can help ease pain and inflammation.
Essential Oil Pain Relief Butter
Pain is a common thing in our lives, but there are ways to make it less painful. I've created this recipe for you that can be used on any aches and pains with natural ingredients! Plus my essential oil blend will keep your skin feeling nourished while providing relief from pain too so give these recipes a try today if you're looking for some new DIY remedies :)
Bumps and Bruises Oil Blend
Almost everyone has experienced a bump or bruise at some point in their life. While these bumps and bruises might not seem like a big deal, they can be quite painful and take awhile to heal. If you're looking for a natural way to soothe your bumps and bruises, consider using an oil blend specifically designed for this purpose. Bumps and Bruises Oil Blend is a potent combination of oils that can help relieve pain and inflammation, speed up the healing process, and reduce bruising.
Headache Relief Roller Blend
Are you struggling with a headache? If so, you're not alone. A lot of people suffer from headaches on a regular basis. Luckily, there are things you can do to help relieve your headache pain. One great option is to create a headache relief roller blend using essential oils. Essential oils have been shown to be effective in providing relief for headaches. Plus, they smell great and can help you relax. So if you're looking for some relief, give this roller blend a try!
Blue Tansy Sore Muscle Rub
Have you ever been so sore after a workout that you can barely move? If so, you'll want to try this Blue Tansy Sore Muscle Rub. It's a natural way to help ease the pain and inflammation caused by exercise. Plus, it smells amazing! Find this blend on our Blue Tansy Oil Spotlight, it is the last recipe listed on the blog post.
Where to Buy Essential Oils?
Essential oils are great because not only do they make you feel good physically but mentally as well. I love having them around since they have so many benefits like clearing the air of bad odors and improving moods by releasing calming scents in your home or office!
We are frequently asked what essential oil brand we like, here are some of our favorites: