Do you use essential oils for skin care? It's important to know that there are many different types of essential oils, and not all are appropriate for use on the face or other sensitive areas. Here we will discuss various ways of using essential oils for the skin as well as their benefits when applied topically.
Do you know that what you put on your skin is just as important as what you eat? Our skin acts like a sponge, absorbing what it is exposed to. Unfortunately, in many consumer skin care products, harmful chemicals can be found.
I don't know about you, but when I slather on my skin care products I don't want toxic chemicals in them.
You don't need these toxic products, you can use essential oils as part of your skin care regimen. The natural power of essential oils can help your skin feel and look young, healthy and gorgeous.
Are Essential Oils Safe for Skin Care?
Essential oils are a popular choice for natural skin care. They are safe to use and have a wide range of benefits for the skin. Essential oils can help to improve the appearance of the skin, reduce inflammation, and fight bacteria. They can also be used to relieve muscle tension and promote relaxation.
When used correctly, essential oils are an effective and safe way to improve the health of the skin. However, it is important to understand how to use essential oils correctly.
Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before applying them to the skin, and avoid using essential oils near the eyes or other sensitive areas. If you have sensitive skin, it is best to test a small area before using essential oils all over your body. With a little care and knowledge, essential oils can be an excellent addition to your natural skin care routine.
Top 10 Essential Oils For Skin Care
Essential oils are not just for aromatherapy. They can be used to cleanse and nourish your skin too! Using essential oils is an all-natural way to promote healthy, glowing skin without using harsh chemicals or toxins.
For those looking to target specific skin concerns like acne, wrinkles, or dryness there are several essential oils that can help you achieve the desired results safely and effectively.
We'll also go over basic safety steps when using essential oils for skincare and beauty treatments. Let's get started!
1. Lavender Essential Oil
- Perfect for any skin care regimen and beauty routine.
- Skin benefits include calming, soothing and regenerative properties.
- Helps reduce skin dryness.
- It has been used for skin recovery from burns, blisters, infections and other injuries.
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil (aka Melaleuca)
- Tea Tree is known for its cleaning and regenerative properties.
- Perfect for skin blemishes, acne scars, and rashes.
- Powerful antimicrobial properties makes it great for adding to face wash or foot soaks.
3. Frankincense Essential Oil
- Natural beauty treatment to renew and support youthful skin.
- Tones and tightens skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, pores, and signs of aging.
- It can speed skin healing and texture.
- Makes a wonderful addition to face oil or anti-aging serums.
4. Chamomile Essential Oil
- Roman and German chamomile are both favorites for natural skincare.
- Provides calming benefits for irritated or sensitive skin.
- Reduces inflammation, which is helpful in skin care recipes
- Add this oil to body lotion for a skin soothing rub down.
- Try in an all natural bug bite remedy.
5. Geranium Essential Oil
- Outstanding benefits for soothing & calming skin.
- Can balance oil production, hydrate & condition skin.
- Has antibacterial & anti-inflammatory that may help with acne & eczema.
- Perfect addition to face masks and body cleansers.
6. Patchouli Essential Oil
- Promotes a glowing complexion.
- It can soothe skin irritations and reduce appearance of fine lines and scars.
- May help tighten loose skin.
- I love to use it this body oil recipe.
7. Helichrysum Essential Oil
- I love to use it to stop bleeding in a fresh cut.
- Known for its calming & renewing effects.
- Nourishes skin while helping reduce inflammation.
- Helps to reduce scarring and with tissue regeneration, perfect for bumps and bruises.
- It has been used for skin conditions like eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis.
8. Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Assists with skin regeneration and dry skin.
- Astringent properties make it beneficial for acne.
- Make a face toner with witch hazel and sandalwood to use after washing your face.
9. Myrrh Essential Oil
- Numerous benefits for skin including smoothing irritated, dry or chapped skin.
- Helps improve skin conditions, wounds, and wrinkles.
- Add myrrh to night cream and apply at bedtime for great benefits.
10. Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- Works as a great detoxifier and cleanser which may help with acne, dermatitis, and eczema.
- It may also help skin retain moisture.
- I love adding this to my body cream, not only does it smell wonderful and has lots of therapeutic benefits, it has really helped my dermatitis.
Whether you’re dealing with breakouts or looking to prevent signs of aging, there’s sure to be an essential oil combination that will work best for your unique needs!
How to Use Essential Oils for Skin Care
You can easily make all natural homemade skincare products with your essential oils to use in your skin care regimen. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate your oils.
Essential Oil Body Wash
This is one of my most fabulous ways to add my oils into my daily routine. I use a mini foaming bottle, a few simple ingredients plus my oils and I have a custom body wash with nourishing essential oils.
Here are 20 Essential Oil Body Wash Recipes you can try.
Essential Oils For Bathing
There are several ways you can add essential oils to your daily bathing. Here are just a few ideas:
Essential Oils For Face
Facial tissue is much more delicate and sensitive than skin on the rest of the body. It is actually better to use less essential oil drops when you plan to use them on your face, because you do not want to create any skin irritations. You can make a facial serums or even a custom facial oil blend.
Essential Oil Moisturizer
You can easily add one to two drops of essential oils to unscented lotions, body butter, or to a carrier oil and make a moisturizing blend to help heal and soothe skin.
Read more about using essential oils for dry skin plus recipes included.
Foaming Hand Wash and Hand Soap
This is my second favorite way to get essential oils into my daily routine (diffusing essential oils is my first). Here are some recipes to try:
Looking for a my to soothe muscles and care for your skin as well, try massage oils. I love a good aromatherapy massage. Massage oils can also be self applied and to specific target areas that you need to have worked out, like feet.
Here are 22 Aromatherapy Massage Oil Recipes you can try.
Best Essential Oil Combinations for Skin
Essential oils are a great all-natural way to promote skin health. There are a variety of essential oil combinations that can be used to address different skin concerns such as acne, wrinkles, and dryness.
Let’s explore some of the best essential oil combinations that can help you achieve healthier looking skin.
Lavender and Tea Tree Oil for Acne Prone Skin
Lavender and tea tree oils are both excellent for treating acne prone skin. Lavender is known for its antibacterial properties and helps with inflammation, while tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and helps reduce redness and swelling associated with breakouts.
Together, these two oils create an effective combination to combat acne while leaving your skin feeling refreshed and revitalized.
Frankincense and Myrrh for Aging Skin
Frankincense and myrrh have been used since ancient times to treat a variety of skin ailments including aging skin. Frankincense has anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce wrinkles and other signs of aging, while myrrh helps moisturize the skin by stimulating the production of collagen.
Together, these two oils create an effective combination for fighting signs of aging while also nourishing the skin with vital nutrients it needs to look healthy.
Chamomile Essential Oil with Rosehip for Dry Skin
Rosehip and chamomile oils are both known for their calming properties, which make them ideal for treating dry skin. Rosehip oil is a carrier oil rich in vitamins A and C which helps restore moisture to your skin, while chamomile helps soothe irritation caused by dryness or sensitivity.
Combined, these two oils work together to provide long-lasting hydration without over drying or irritating your delicate complexion.
Frequently Asked Questions About Skin Care and Essential Oils
Here are answers to common Essential Oil Skin Care questions:
Are essential oils good for skin care?
Essential oils have been used in traditional medicine for their healing properties. Today, essential oils are gaining popularity as a natural remedy for a variety of health concerns, including skin care.
While essential oils are generally safe to use, it is important to choose the right oil for your skin type and to follow instructions carefully. When used correctly, essential oils can help to improve skin complexion, reduce inflammation, and control acne.
Some of the most popular essential oils for skin care include lavender, tea tree, frankincense, geranium, and chamomile essential oil.
What essential oils are good for skin care?
Essential oils are good for skin care because they can help to improve the appearance of the skin, reduce inflammation, and fight bacteria. Some essential oils that are particularly beneficial for the skin include lavender, frankincense, and tea tree oil.
- Lavender oil is known for its calming properties, making it an ideal choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Frankincense oil is a powerful antioxidant that can help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals.
- Tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial agent that can help to keep the skin clear and free of blemishes.
When used together, these essential oils can provide your skin with a wealth of benefits.
What are the best carrier oils for skin care?
Some of the best carrier oils for skin care include jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and rosehip oil. Each of these oils has unique benefits that can help to improve the appearance and health of your skin.
- Jojoba oil, for example, is excellent for keeping the skin hydrated and preventing dryness. It closely resembles the natural oil produced by the skin and can help to maintain balance.
- Coconut oil can help to nourish and moisturize the skin, while also providing protection from the sun.
- Olive oil is full of antioxidants that can help to fight against wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Rosehip oil is packed with nutrients and antioxidants that can help to repair damage and protect against further damage.
By incorporating one or more of these essential oils into your skin care routine, you can enjoy beautiful, healthy skin.
Final Thoughts on Best Essential Oils for Skin
When it comes to skin care, there are many different essential oils that can be used to achieve healthy and glowing skin. Some of the best options include lavender oil, which is known for its calming properties and can help to soothe inflammation.
These are just a few of the many options available for skin care, so be sure to do some research to find the best essential oils for your specific skin type and needs. With a little trial and error, you’re sure to find an essential oil or blend of oils that works wonders for your skin.